terminal to video out

monty

I should like, when I get the Pandora and the cable, to be able to have a terminal screen permanently displayed on the video out during normal desktop usage. Will this be possible under the software support that will be provided for it?

I should like, when I get the Pandora and the cable, to be able to have a terminal screen permanently displayed on the video out during normal desktop usage. Will this be possible under the software support that will be provided for it?
from what i know

yes it will

the pandora can display seperate images for each video output ie screen and cable

If you build a breakout board, there's a terminal on the serial port. That's how the prototypes were controlled, before the keyboard was working. You can then get a dummy terminal (usually really cheap, typically just a keyboard with a video out) and plug that in.

This'll also allow you to see things like the bootup and shutdown sequences, if you're interested.

If you build a breakout board, there's a terminal on the serial port. That's how the prototypes were controlled, before the keyboard was working. You can then get a dummy terminal (usually really cheap, typically just a keyboard with a video out) and plug that in.

This'll also allow you to see things like the bootup and shutdown sequences, if you're interested.
Can you get them for Ethernet?

Can you get them for Ethernet?
I'm guessing you mean getting the serial output from the Pandora and streaming it over a network.

I've seen a few serial to ethernet adapters but they're usually geared towards industrial applications and cost a few hundred dollars. Although it wouldn't surprise me if a hobbyist somewhere made a really cheap one but you'd still need a breakout board or to solder onto the pads on the motherboard.

If you just wanted a normal login terminal (wouldn't work during startup and shutdown) then you could just run an SSH server like dropbear (from memory it's in the Angstrom repo) on the Pandora and connect to it over the network.

Last edited by a moderator:
then you could just run an SSH server like dropbear (from memory it's in the Angstrom repo)
Not only in the repo, it's installed by default. Until HF3, it was also active by default which caused a lot of security concerns. Now it needs to be manually started or explicitly told to start on boot (there's a handy gui with all the things you can have it start on boot in there somewhere. Pretty useful)

Cheers for the info. I just needed a terminal window via video when the desktop was running, so it looks like I'm okay.

Back