Release Switch GUI: Openbox

Yes. Yours are a better default. I'll also look into your suggestion of providing an easy way to switch between different sets of keybindings.

OpenBox is really great on Pandora, I'm still using it as my default since the first release, I love it !

I was thinking to add a "Wifi power saving toggle" entries in the menu... well, I'm too lazy to do it... ;) , but I believe it's a good feature to add.

What about putting 'desktop config' and 'pandora' config in the root menu? (containing obenbox/tint2 stuff, and the toos that live in 'settings' respectively.)

Its been bothering me that they are so far apart, and that the entries in 'settings' are under 'PNDs' where I would expect to find files from the user's SD card.

OpenBox is really great on Pandora, I'm still using it as my default since the first release, I love it !

I was thinking to add a "Wifi power saving toggle" entries in the menu... well, I'm too lazy to do it... ;) , but I believe it's a good feature to add.
Yay! It's my default GUI too. It should be easy enough to add a Wifi Power Saving thing, although it doesn't actually make that much difference for me (don't tell Porg I said that).

What about putting 'desktop config' and 'pandora' config in the root menu? (containing obenbox/tint2 stuff, and the toos that live in 'settings' respectively.)

Its been bothering me that they are so far apart, and that the entries in 'settings' are under 'PNDs' where I would expect to find files from the user's SD card.
"PNDs" isn't the best name for it admittedly. I did try having menus like you suggest at one point, but I couldn't get something working (I can't remember exactly what). I'll have another crack at it after the compo (I'm probably going to end up going right up to the deadline, 'cos I'm rubbish at C++).

What a wonderful job you did there!

I figured out 99% of the things i need and will see if i can get the rest by myself...

Will ask questions if i'm not successfull ;)

THANKS A LOT FOR A PRETTY BRILLIANT GUI! :)

This is probably one of pandora's hidden wonders --> very few people seem to use it, but its go the perfect combination of features, speed and looks (IMHO)

THANKS A LOT FOR A PRETTY BRILLIANT GUI! :)
'Pretty' and 'brilliant' describe it very well - just needs a few menu tweaks

Ok. I have a question/problem with the GUI:

With Openbox i find it difficult/impossible to:

-Couple pandora with a bluetooth device.
-Connect to a specific Wifi network. I can add/edit different connections and define "autologin" but changing to a different network is difficult for me.

I am missing the "Select Network"-Tool and the Bluetooth-"App" which show in the taskbar of xfce.

Can i create links to these somehow?

A quick fix is to open a terminal and type:

nm-applet &
bluetooth-applet &
exit
This'll show the apps in the tint2 panel (just to the left of the clock).

If you want them to always be there from startup, you can add "nm-applet &" and "bluetooth-applet &" to autostart (Root Menu -> Config -> edit autostart). Don't forget the "&" part! ;)

If you want to create links from the menu, use Root Menu -> Confit -> edit menu.xml. If you look at the links to set up "File Manager" or "Text Editor", they'll give you a template for adding your own entries for the wireless and bluetooth apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This message is warning.

2 days ago I notice a new item in the system menu allowing to "Upgrade SuperZaxxxon OS", of course I'm an adventurous guy so I try it. After ask me to check the network connection and warning me that this can break the system, I take a deep breath and go for the run.

The script operate successfully, It appears to update some parts of Xfce and others stuff of the system.

Then reboot my unit....and I was stuck at login screen.

My default conf was to autologin in OpenBox, I think the upgrade breaks OpenBox, and It need to be reinstall after the update.

I didn't want to spend time to investiguate, so I decided to flash my unit back to SuperZaxxxon 1.52 from SD, try again the upgrade from xfce, reboot the unit, then reinstall OpenBox ==> it works fine :D

So be carefull if you want to "Upgrade SuperZaxxxon OS".

So I've got 2 questions

- Set autologin to Xfce or Menu menu before the reboot should prevent to be stuck on login screen, or not ?

- After the reinstall, I lost all my OpenBox/tint2 related conf, no hurt I had a backup but can the conf be stored on the appdata directory ?

The Upgrade facility just runs "opkg upgrade" against the packages at http://www.openpandora.org/feeds/unstable/armv7a/

As the ipks I made for the PND aren't there, then I guess that the 'opkg upgrade' process deletes all the Openbox-related packages.

- Set autologin to Xfce or Menu menu before the reboot should prevent to be stuck on login screen, or not ?
It should do yes. I think it's just because it's trying to run a GUI that no longer exists.

- After the reinstall, I lost all my OpenBox/tint2 related conf, no hurt I had a backup but can the conf be stored on the appdata directory ?
You probably wouldn't want this, as it would mean you would need to keep you SD card in at all times. The current install process copies your existing config files into appdata/switchguiopenbox[VERSION]/backup, and then overwrites the config files in $HOME/Applications/Setting/openbox with the default ones. When I update the PND (next week), I'll try and make the installer a bit smarter, so it asks you first, before overwriting anything.

Feature request (if possible): the menu now has "toggle wifi" and "toggle USB host", could this be changed to indicate what the current status is? I often forget whether USB is on or off, and I end up toggling it while it was already how I wanted it :)

Feature request (if possible): the menu now has "toggle wifi" and "toggle USB host", could this be changed to indicate what the current status is? I often forget whether USB is on or off, and I end up toggling it while it was already how I wanted it :)
So it said 'turn bluetooth off' or 'turn wifi on' ?

is so,

quote++

This is doable, but not at the Root Menu level, since this isn't dynamic and can only be changed by restarting Openbox. It would have to more like an entry that opened a sub-menu, something like:

Code:
Hardware Toggles -> Turn WiFi ON
                    Turn Bluetooth OFF 
                    Turn USB Host ON

A sub-menu would be fine, it's better to have a compact root menu anyway imo. You could call the sub-menu "Connectivity" (since USB is also a form of connectivity), and add the current wifi ESSID and "auto-connect" / "edit connections" to it.

Also, "PNDs" should be renamed to something like "Programs" or "Application Menu" or so.

Freamon, it would be also good to backup conf files of warlock and tint2, but i think you already think about it.

I've just notice that OpenBox has been added to PandoraOS ! Are you involed in that ?

Somewhere in this thread, ED mentions getting Openbox in the official OS. The Openbox package that's at openpandora.org/feeds was compiled by him using the OpenEmbedded framework - but it's just the binary, not the extra stuff that I've added.

At the minute, it's one of the reasons that upgrading the OS breaks the current Openbox setup (as you've discovered), because it's got a higher version number (3.5.0r5 as opposed to 3.5.0), so it overwrites my files. The other reason is that pandora-scripts has also been updated, also overwriting my files. My guess before, about upgrading deleting non-standard ipks, was incorrect.

This week, I'm working on a new PND that uses ED's build of Openbox, and adds to it, in a way that future OS upgrades won't break it.

Back