Swing!

Wolenber

Hey all, I know that the Pandora will have Java support, and I would assume that means it will support Swing, but I'd just like confirmation from somebody, as I've never actually seen Swing used on an ARM device.

Thank in advance.

just out of curiosity cause i don't know whats swing. I"m all ready looking up like 15 different things that i don't have the slightest clue of what they are. lol

Swing is the glorious technology that Java uses to create user interfaces, such as buttons and the like. From what I have used, it's very easy compared to a lot of other ones.

EDIT: Other ones being other programming languages, not other options in Java. As far as I know, there are no other options in Java.

Looks like the only JVM implementation with awt and swing support that runs on this platform is closed-source commercial software, specifically PERC from Aonix.

Not what any of us wanted to hear, I know, but looks like that's just how it is.

There's other options in Java.

Qt's Java binding is called Jambi IIRC, and there's got to be a GTK+ binding since they have them for like everything.
http://doc.trolltech.com/qtjambi-4.4/html/com/trolltech/qt/qtjambi-index.html
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/

GNOME being the larger project that includes GTK+

Qt is actually even easier than Swing, since you can create a .ui file in Qt Designer / Qt Creator, and load that instead of manually creating your GUI in code. (Which is still an option)

Jambi is a PITA to compile and use, if you aren't on one of {Linux32, Linux64, Win32, Win64, MacOSX}. I still use it for all of my apps, though ;)

Also, Jambi depends on "java.awt.*" in some places so you need Swing support to use Jambi.

Anyways, Swing is implemented using nothing but "java.awt.*" calls, so Swing will work for sure, no worries. (Saying that you get JVM support without Swing is like saying that you get X11/Xorg support without being able to display anything)

EDIT: @Drack Ever heard of OpenJDK?

dflemstr said:
Jambi is a PITA to compile and use, if you aren't on one of {Linux32, Linux64, Win32, Win64, MacOSX}. I still use it for all of my apps, though ;)

Also, Jambi depends on "java.awt.*" in some places so you need Swing support to use Jambi.

Anyways, Swing is implemented using nothing but "java.awt.*" calls, so Swing will work for sure, no worries. (Saying that you get JVM support without Swing is like saying that you get X11/Xorg support without being able to display anything)

EDIT: @Drack Ever heard of OpenJDK?

That would be saying Xvfb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back