Surprise! An Extra Button!

gaterooze posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:19 PM said:
I've never once accidentally pressed in a thumbstick on the Xbox or PS2. You guys really must be "heavy handed" :lol:
Adrenaline. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
junker posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:19 AM said:
yeah this buttons would be great for bringing up an emulator menu! just like with emulators on the xbox..except with those you would hit the right thumbstick which never gets used in play.

anyway, i noticed the same thing as white demon..the button can be easily pressed when moving about with the thumbstick and stuff. i hope it won't be triggered as easily with the 2x's stick.

Im holding a Xbox control rigt now......its not that easy to press in the control stick...it needs some force to press it in. :lol:

gaterooze posted on Oct 29 2005 at 08:19 PM said:
I've never once accidentally pressed in a thumbstick on the Xbox or PS2. You guys really must be "heavy handed" :lol:

yeah, since the dualshock on PS1 to my xbox, i NEVER EVER happened to click accidentaly! :blink:
especially on XBOX wich is quite hard! <_<

you guys are beast :p

Maybe the thumbstick is the backlight toggle? If it were my choice that's where I'd put it...

TandeM posted on Oct 30 2005 at 12:34 AM said:
Maybe the thumbstick is the backlight toggle? If it were my choice that's where I'd put it...
AFAIK any button held down long enough will toggle the backlight, again a dev could confirm I'm going back to previous rumors.

lucoxade said:
AFAIK any button held down long enough will toggle the backlight, again a dev could confirm I'm going back to previous rumors.

I really hope not. That was one of the only design flaws in the GP32, holding select for the backlight. Holding the stick-button for a few seconds would be a great solution.

the couldnt fit it in

maybe it wasa just one bit too expensive

maybe they didnt think of it

maybe they thought thumbstick is enough (i reckon thumbstick will be backlight toggle)

they justdidnt

loads of reasons ;)

but the most important one is : they decided not to, so theres nthing that can be done

aQwaBlaz3 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:09 PM said:
yeah this buttons would be great for bringing up an emulator menu! just like with emulators on the xbox..except with those you would hit the right thumbstick which never gets used in play.

anyway, i noticed the same thing as white demon..the button can be easily pressed when moving about with the thumbstick and stuff. i hope it won't be triggered as easily with the 2x's stick.

Im holding a Xbox control rigt now......its not that easy to press in the control stick...it needs some force to press it in. :lol:

well, with a pretty worn out analog stick it is fairly easy to hit it, but that only happens with me when playing an fps on xbox. just too clumsy, heh

anyway, whats the situation on the backlight? isn't it up on the gph faq?

junker posted on Oct 30 2005 at 01:05 PM said:
aQwaBlaz3 posted on Oct 29 2005 at 10:09 PM said:

well, with a pretty worn out analog stick it is fairly easy to hit it, but that only happens with me when playing an fps on xbox. just too clumsy, heh

anyway, whats the situation on the backlight? isn't it up on the gph faq?

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. A few people should have the final hardware by now (as opposed to the magiceyes devboard), can you guys tell us how it works?

The backlight is controlled by software, and the software is not yet complete. I don't think there is a way of turning it off yet, but people can always put it in there emu's etc if they want such a feature. If GPH do implement it, it'll probably run off some timer, so should be quite easy to disable.

EDIT: Hmmm, perhaps I should rephrase that... Holding down a button doesn't turn off the backlight yet, but if GPH implemented such a feature, it'll probably run off some timer that can be disabled. Apps will have full control over the backlight, as it's connected to a general purpose I/O pin.

Squidge posted on Oct 30 2005 at 02:57 PM said:
The backlight is controlled by software, and the software is not yet complete. I don't think there is a way of turning it off yet, but people can always put it in there emu's etc if they want such a feature. If GPH do implement it, it'll probably run off some timer, so should be quite easy to disable.

EDIT: Hmmm, perhaps I should rephrase that... Holding down a button doesn't turn off the backlight yet, but if GPH implemented such a feature, it'll probably run off some timer that can be disabled. Apps will have full control over the backlight, as it's connected to a general purpose I/O pin.
That's awesome!!! exactly what I was hoping for :D

EDIT: Hey, here's a thought. Do you know if the IO pin is one of the ones that can be driven by the built-in pulse width modulator? by varying the duty cycle, one could implement a dimmer for the backlight.

codesmith posted on Oct 30 2005 at 10:27 PM said:
EDIT: Hey, here's a thought. Do you know if the IO pin is one of the ones that can be driven by the built-in pulse width modulator? by varying the duty cycle, one could implement a dimmer for the backlight.
Or a disco dancefloor for a hamster cage?

I think it's on pin H2, so I'll let you go check with the datasheet, as I need sleep :)

(the datasheets been disclosed a lot round here lately, so I'm assuming you already have it. If not, go look for it :) )

Squidge posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:58 PM said:
I think it's on pin H2, so I'll let you go check with the datasheet, as I need sleep :)

(the datasheets been disclosed a lot round here lately, so I'm assuming you already have it. If not, go look for it :) )
Yeah, I got it here... nuts. A quick scan tells me that the PWM output pins for all 4 channels are N4, N5, N2 and N1, so no joy. Mind you, it's possible that they didn't hook the backlight to the PWM on purpose because the backlight can't handle frequencies above a certain threshold that the PWM can easily generate, making it possible to burn out the backlight by software.

Back