Suggestions for P2

3_bit

here's what I think the P2 needs:

-SGX545 or better

-that little mouse in the center of some keyboards

-Mini HDMI

-wireless N

-USB 3.0

-Modularity with NAND, RAM, CPU, (and possibly IO?)

-dual CPUs? just a thought but there's no reason we can't completely redesign the PCB to have 2 Cortex A15's

-JK

-Higher-res screen

-Nice looking graphical boot menu and possibly the ability to add more OSes to it (like Win98lite, but have it start on boot?)

-Multiple colors

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
naming chips is kinda pointless

many people would like that - aren't nubs good enough?

sensible

must have

also must have

This seems to be the plan

<huge rant about how cramped the PCB is>

haha!

seems sensible

not specifically relevant to the P2 - this is a software problem - an x86 emu launcher should not be in a boot menu - there is a need for a unified emu+rom launcher

Until this can be justified with large production runs of each colour, get a spraycan and diy

Well done for not mentioning SD cards, and for making sensible suggestions

Also a projectable laser keyboard, and a built in good quality projector, for large screen gaming or office productivity on the go.

It would still fit in your pocket. Don't think they make projectors quite that small yet. I see i-phone sized ones available though.

IF possbile the new allwinner looks cool, as for my suggestions -short of an amd apu ;p- it just need to be fast enough for demanding android games, be low prices -max of $249 USD- and should definitely have proper gaming controls.

Fixing/Improving of all "weak spots" of the original Pandora: LCD ribbon, WiFi, Case, replacable D-Pad and Nubs, ergonomy...

But I guess the OP-Team knows that already. ^^

What do you think?
quite frankly: bollocks

-that little mouse in the center of some keyboards
there are already the nubs, they sure aren't as comfortable as a trackpoint, but why cramp even more in such a tiny space

-Modularity with NAND, RAM, CPU, (and possibly IO?)
-dual CPUs? just a thought but there's no reason we can't completely redesign the PCB to have 2 Cortex A15's
For what purpose exactly ? beeing 99,9999999% sure the P2 will have a MultiCore SoC, what could we accomplish with it ? nothing, absolutely nothing. Well except you are into heavy parallel processing on the go, maybe do some semy exact boson position calculation while you are on the bus to the LHC ?

Whats that ?

Nice looking graphical boot menu and possibly the ability to add more OSes to it (like Win98lite, but have it start on boot?)
There already is a boot menu and you can already add other Oses if they are built for ARM plattforms. x86 OSes will only be available on a virtualized basis as no one really sane will put a x86 design in a mobile device - unless you want immobilize it.

-Multiple colors
Multiple colors means smaller batches to order which will increase the price - so why do it ? If you wan't another color grab an extra case and paint it yourself

The P2 should be upgradeable, and I don't mean by buying a whole new unit at full price but, more like buying new parts to replace old ones by either myself or by sending in the unit to ED or Craigix for the price of the parts being upgraded + shipping.

Send from my ZTE Warp

Last edited by a moderator:
The P2 should be upgradeable, and I don't mean by buying a whole new unit at full price but, more like buying new parts to replace old ones by either myself or by sending in the unit to ED or Craigix for the price of the parts being upgraded + shipping.

Send from my ZTE Warp

This is why they might make it modular. But with the socs and pop bga soldering these days don't think you can rip out a processor or ram...

It's difficult to see how one would implement a "modular system" given how integrated the SoCs are and how uniquely they communicate with peripherals. It isnt like a classic PC with standardized RAM and CPU sockets.

I guess you could make a complete mainboard module that is upgradeable -- leaving interfaces and keyboard/dpad/nubs to another board.

I guess you could make a complete mainboard module that is upgradeable -- leaving interfaces and keyboard/dpad/nubs to another board.

^ I generally think that was what Craig is hinting at.

Back