Stylus/Handwriting Recognition?

crimsonnight

Was just wondering if the Pandora comes with a stylus? If it doesn't I really think it would be a good idea to include one... also will you be able to use handwriting recognition software with the touch screen? If so, do you think the screen is sturdy enough to handle it?

oh god, im sry - can't belive i missed that >.<
is the stylus included in the case, or does it slot into the console like say the DS? also is it possible to use handwriting recognition software with the pandora?

crimsonnight said:
is the stylus included in the case, or does it slot into the console like say the DS? also is it possible to use handwriting recognition software with the pandora?

http://lipitk.sourceforge.net/

I can say at least an open source implementation hand writing recognition exists, so someone just has to port it and get it working with the touch screen, if possible (99.9% sure yes it's possible).

ok cool, thats really good to know - thanks
think the touch screen's sturdy enough to put up with it if used reguarly?
also do you know if the stylus slots into the console like the DS or is it a separate entity?

I wonder if there will be software so us artists can sketch with the stylus on the screen....kind of like a mini Wacom Cintiq. I know this is a post about handwriting recognition, but it would be very helpful for me to be able to sketch out some designs and save them to work on in Photoshop or Illustrator when I get home. This would make the pen that much more useful for me.

Not to ramp up a flame war, but can we tone down the anger in some of the posts? Everyone's lost too much sleep waiting for pre-orders and some have been getting a bit grumpy.

There are a lot of new people learning about the Pandora just this week. Yes, they're not going to have the time to read every post as you have, but that's not their fault. Many new users *won't* have English as a first language.

Yes, it's going to get repetitive, but that's the cost of the explosive word of mouth buzz Pandora's gotten in the last week.

Now back on to discussion, I was actually working on a graffiti (i.e. PalmOS style) recognizing system for the GP2X F200 before I found out Graffiti was trademarked and canned the project. I'm not sure which of graffiti, handwriting, or thumb-typing is going to be faster on the Pandora.

crimsonnight said:

Hi crimsonnight, welcome. :)

The stylus will fit into the stylus slot located I believe on the bottom front lengthwise area of the Pandora(right under the volume dial, SD slots, and headphone hole). Handwriting recognition probably needs program porting/developing by an experienced dev so thumbing or a usb keyboard and large screen font may be the practical path.

crimsonnight said:
Well, you'd first have to find handwriting recognition programs for Linux...

OK, I admit there are a few character recognizers for Linux (Cellwriter is arguably the best of them), but true HWR does not exist for Linux -- at least it is not available at user level.

Addendum: I just saw the post about Lipitk. It's just a toolkit ATM, without (AFAIK) any userspace application using it. Also, I'm not at all sure it can be called HWR in the sense I (and all my fellow Newtoneers) understand it: capable of converting cursive handwriting, not just printed letters.

If you really want a first-class HWR solution and are not afraid of using commercial software, I'd suggest you do what I've been doing: Bug the heck out of the good people at RiteScript.com to port their stuff to Linux. They are the keepers of the Newton HWR algorithms (their stuff is used in XP and Vista tablet editions as well) and they have been hinting at a Linux port for like forever.

TrevorBradley said:
Not to ramp up a flame war, but can we tone down the anger in some of the posts? Everyone's lost too much sleep waiting for pre-orders and some have been getting a bit grumpy.

There are a lot of new people learning about the Pandora just this week. Yes, they're not going to have the time to read every post as you have, but that's not their fault. Many new users *won't* have English as a first language.

Yes, it's going to get repetitive, but that's the cost of the explosive word of mouth buzz Pandora's gotten in the last week.

Now back on to discussion, I was actually working on a graffiti (i.e. PalmOS style) recognizing system for the GP2X F200 before I found out Graffiti was trademarked and canned the project. I'm not sure which of graffiti, handwriting, or thumb-typing is going to be faster on the Pandora.

Well , I think people can atleast check places on the website for information about the pandora, if they want information about the pandora which is about the shipping (in this case what is included in the shipping) they could at least read the webpage about the shipping and buying : the shop!

Mithrildor said:
TrevorBradley said:

Well , I think people can atleast check places on the website for information about the pandora, if they want information about the pandora which is about the shipping (in this case what is included in the shipping) they could at least read the webpage about the shipping and buying : the shop!

Yeah, definitely. But that doesn't warrant a rude attitude towards people. We're all friends here.

Nightwind0 said:
Mithrildor said:

Yeah, definitely. But that doesn't warrant a rude attitude towards people. We're all friends here.

Who said it was a rude post. You can't see in a post in which tone somebody is saying something. I did'n't want to make a complete rude post, just a bit rude , to tell the newbies here that they have to look a bit at the website (forums aren't helpdesks (Well we are treated as one on the dutch DS flashcard forum ndss.nl by soem people and I don't like that at all))

crimsonnight said:
is the stylus included in the case, or does it slot into the console like say the DS?

There is a slot that enters from the side and runs across the length of the Pandora, over the SD cards, ending at the headphone jack. This is paraphrased from MWeston on the old forums.

I do hope they will have extras available, although I still have the original stylus from my 8 year old Palm M100 which I still use from time to time.

Mithrildor said:

And yet people continue to come here to ask questions. In my mind this means one of a few possibilities:

1) The information about the product is poorly organized. (Some information is nested deep in difficult to search forums)

2) The information about the product is difficult to find. (There's no obvious massive link to "read this first before posting new questions")

3) People are people and some are going to go ask the helpful people in the forums regardless.

None of these justifies hostility towards the new. They're going to come in here and post the same questions over again regardless of how well we organize the information and point them to it. Either help them out, ignore them, or complain elsewhere to try to fix the problem.

EDIT: "Can't you read English?!?" is exceptionally rude, particularly in countries like mine where English isn't the only language spoken. Remember it's an international forum and people take comments differently.

EDIT2: I said I wasn't going to start a flame war so I'm going to stop here.

Thanks for all the info guys - really appreciate it ^^ like TrevorBradley says, I only found out about this product today, and ordered one a couple of hours later. before I ordered I checked every inch of the main site, all the reviews i could find on google, and all the clips i could find on youtube... oh yeah, and the wiki with the FAQ - so i am trying my best lol (also this forum has only been up for a few days, so there aren't that many posts yet). i know im an idiot for missing the stylus thing, but i guess i was concentrating on buying instead of information at that point. I was quite a strong member in the GP2X community for a bit, and was really happy with how friendly and helpful people were, and Im glad that it seems the way with you guys too ^^ I will put as much input as i can into the develeping of homebrew and stuff

*EDIT* oh, and it would be a good idea if we made a sticky thread when the Pandora is released of say the best homebrew software/emulators/games etc for our OS - you know, split into sections, maybe with a mini review/comparison or something underneath each one - all that sorta stuff I would be happy to contribute towards ^^

sebt3 said:
http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/GpeRosetta
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?section=gpe

There will be handwritting recognition in the (near) futur for the pandora.
Remember the main pandora distribution will be base on angstrom. GPE is part of this distribution and GPE have a basic handwritting system.
If you ever used GPERosetta, you'd be a lot less enthousiastic about it. Basically, it's just another Graffiti wannabe, unfit for anything beyond the shortest of entries.

Back