Strange uses for the Pandora

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
A while ago we sold a Pandora to someone who went on days long scouting expeditions for oil and mineral companies, often in the middle of nowhere, dropped off by helicopter quite often, picked up a few days later.

The Pandora was the longest battery life machine he could get to entertain him for that time.

What strange or unexpected uses have you found for the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the Pandora in the wild due to it's battery life is strange and unexpected?

My power went out for almost a day, my spare Pandora and a USB light ended up being a lamp. In low power mode it just lasts forever. I played games on my other Pandora to kill the time...

Not quite dropping from a helicopter cool though...

I used it as my main development laptop while in Brighton/Leipzig designing the Quixote Braille display. Hung around the back alley of cafes, using their WiFi to send emergency updated component files to the workshop.

Lets hope nobody used a pandora in some strange sex act!The battery would last the duration though.Lol.

When I lost power for two weeks, my Pandora ( 2 batteries, powered by a 300W UPS intermittently being charged by my car's lighter socket ) was the only thing able to last long enough to charge my cellphone and then the only thing powerful enough that I owned to be able to get online and or play games with.

Nice! Has battery technology changed much since 2008? Will we be seeing an even higher capacity batt when this occurs?

My Pandora came in very handy a few hours ago for setting up scanning on a couple of our Sharp Photocopiers. I accessed the Copier Web interface via Firefox 13 on the Pandora and pointed to the scanning folders on the network. Test ,adjust settings, rinse and repeat until working, all without having to return to my desk or kick a user off their PC. The Pandora got some admiring glances while I was doing this too. :)

Paper holder? Spider-squasher?

It burns my ass, but mine spends too much time showing Dora the Explorer to toddlers :eek:

jeff

Just recently I was turning on and off a standard household lamp with my Pandora. This was done via a USB controller, that drove a relay circuit that switches an AC outlet. I have made both a C++ and Python program on the Pandora that handle driving that USB controller..

You can use it to measure the room temperature using the battery applet - yes, that is actually the CPU temperature, but that's almost the same thing as room temperature unless you have been holding the Pandora in your hands for some time :)

I just started to transmit the morse-code transmission using Openpandora with fm-transmitter. How geeky is that :)

...- . .-. -.-- / --. . . -.- -.-- / .. -. -.. . . -..

but mine spends too much time showing Dora the Explorer to toddlers

The Pandora does make an excellent baby sitter, my little girl loves watching video on it & it makes such a pleasant change not to have to worry about battery levels.

Guess my strangest use for the Pandora has been as a charger for DS Lite & Phone, still had plenty of juice left after giving them both a much needed top up.

I used it as my main development laptop while in Brighton/Leipzig designing the Quixote Braille display. Hung around the back alley of cafes, using their WiFi to send emergency updated component files to the workshop.

That's great use. Beautiful website btw.

Back