Strange Korean error...

MrVaderSir

Still Fresh
Hey, I just got my GP32 like an hour or two ago. I have to say, it has much potential, except I cant seem to run anything and wondered if Im missing something...

I have authenticated my GP32 and installed the Free Launcher, I then put the Doom fxe file into GPMM directory on my (rather small at only 2MB) SMC

I can launch the launcher, and highlight the doom icon, but then when i try and run it a strange error message in Korean comes up! I have no idea how to read Korean, so I dont know what the error says! Eeek!
The only letter I can make out in it is A, which when pressed returns you to the launcher list with the Doom icon in.

Does anybody have any idea what I can do to resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Vader

Edit: I also tried installing Wind-ups, which appears in the Free Launcher list, but wont run...same problem as above so it's obviously not the Doom fxe

Did you read the readme file? I haven't tried to put doom on my gp yet but there are a lot of programs in the version 5 zip. it sounds like you have the version 6 zip file. That and you need the .wad file.

Get a bigger SMC!
Doom needs a doom *.wad in Game/doom . And this file is at least 4MB. Don't know whats the problem with Windups, but I didn't know that 2MB SMCs existed :D

Ah, okay. So, I need the .wad file aswell, which would explain why Doom wont run, but what about Wind-ups? I was under the impression it replaced the standard OS rather than the user running it?

Either way Wind-ups wont run, nor with SNES9x...maybe I should just wait for my bigger SMCs to arrive :(

I apologise for double posting, but I just tried to install Slyro the Radioactive Cat, and it didnt work.

When I go into GP32 PC-Link Host I Format the SMC, then install the Free Launcher, then put the Slyro FXE file in the GPMM directory...everything seems to be working fine until I press A on the Slyro icon in the free launcher. At this point, no matter what I install, I get the strange Korean error message.

I dont think Im doing anything wrong, am I?

-V

Strange. I (and I assume everyone else) gets a red-bordered window with a bunch of Korean text in it. It usually disappears after a couple of seconds or when you hit a button.

A please get a proper SMC! :)

Yea, it looks like it wants you to press the A button, but when I do it just goes back to the Free Launcher list.

And I have 128MB SMCs on their way. Do you think the SMC could be the problem? I couldnt resist trying it with my 2MB one I found in a stone age digicam ;)
Call me impatient, call me anxious, just dont call me chicken hehe

Edit: By the way, whats the best Divx player out there? I've encoded Evil Dead to be GP32 compatible and it looks great on PC (considering its size) and I really wanna see it running in the best possible way on my GP32.

...It might be the garden path, but the same thing happened to me and delete a couple of mp3s (the SMC was very close to being full, like 60k free) and it all came good... ;)

I didn't even know tha you could get a smb smc so I will assume that it is a very old card then. I know that the game park needs a smc with an id number in order to run anything correctly. If your smc is infact a few years old then that alone might be your problem. I also know that it needs an smc that runs at 3.3v since yous is so small that might also be a problem I might run at a diffrent voltage. As well I know you were having problems with doom but with that you need a doom .wad file which is acctually the pc version of the game and the .fxe is more or less just a launcher for that. in the game directory you need to make a folder called doom and put the .wad file renamed to doom1.wad in there then put the .fxe in the gpmm folder to get it to go. The same is true of most emulators they have to have a folder with a certain name so the emulator know were to look to find the game roms. I would imagine that most of your problems are due to the size and age of your smc so get a new one and you should be all set I would recomend a 128mb you will fill it fast beleave me.

Best Divx player is by far Gpcinema. It cots about $7 I think at JoyGP(www.entware.com) it can play videos at 15fps while still keeping a decent bit rate. Theres also movirpark which is similar but it can only play 10fps, and it has a for interface. People say you can stretch that 15fps even more if you take tdown the resolution to 320x176 or lower the bitrate of the audio/video

SMC's that small are asking for problems! If you're going to use that, stick with programs that are small also...like xrick, the games from tailzone or something along those lines. It just kinda limits you for now...but once you get the 128meg cards, most if not all your problems will go away.

Only other thing that I can think of is maybe your card isn't in properly. The message isn't an error I assume, it's probably just the normal 'push A to continue' type prompt. If your card isn't in properly, it can cause similar problems - you can see the files, but you can't run them. This typically results in glitched or missing icons for programs, or perhaps the programs don't have a name, just a filename.

The message that comes up actually reads " Program is loading, please wait" - I asked the question in a thread about translating ASR - so now you know.

Onto the SMC problem, I seem to recall reading somwhere that the minimum you could use in the GP was 4Meg, so that could be the problem, but as stated above it could be there is no ID on the card

Wow, thanks for your help everyone. I check ed the card, and it does run at 3.3v but I have no idea about the ID number so until there's another reason Im assuming that's it, or the fact 2MB is just too small. Unfortunately the place I ordered my SMCs from ran out of stock and I have to order more from somewhere else. Can anyone suggest a cheap website I can order some from?

I was disappointed the gp32 didn't come with an 8MB SMC or a mains adapter, but I guess that's a small price to pay for such a great machine ;)

off topic: Does anyone know of any gp32 related DC hubs?

edit: I got a small mp3 to play off my 2MB SMC, but Im not sure how this relates to playing games with regards to the ID number

www.pricewatch.com if you want to order more SMCs and you live in North America. Although some international shipping may actually be cheaper if you find the right store.

Look under "Storage - Flash".

I thought the min card size was 16 meg i tried with a 2meg card (before i found out that 16meg was the smallest card) and the link software installed the correct directories and files but apart from that nothing would run

I dont know if you can use the 2meg card for a data disk
ie storing pictures, small text files etc.

I cant test this (on holiday havent got my 2meg card (havent got a tan either :( ))
could someone find out if this is possible as it may be of future use.....

i read this entire thead but i still have a problem. i put the port in :/gpmm. i opened the game folder then i made a doom then i opened that and then put my .wad file in there. the bar came up and it uploaded that took like 20 secs but then after i uploaded there was no .wad file on my screen and when i got to play it still says.

DANCE DANCE DANCE DNACENCENJUDINDIBNFDKX
Allocating 61644 kbytes for zone
IErr: W_InitFiles: no files foun
shutting down
>>>

I have had my gamepark for just about a week now. I got the free gp launcher and i've gotten all my other emulators to work. I just can't get doom to work and i'm a realy big fan of the doom games. I would realy like to play doom on my gamepark so if someone could help me with doom that would be great. thank you

Back