Still Need Help With Dumping Neo Geo Roms ?

defre

Still Fresh
Hello

Ok , dumpgfx don't work on my pc .
So i must do it manually

This is what i did :

I have ex. Garou.zip 77 Mb

i did this methode
Quicker method (requires WinZip to be installed):

1. Open Notepad into a blank file
2. "Save As..." the first romname, e.g. 096-c1.bin. Repeat, simply changing the number for each cx file. edit: remember to select "All files" in the save dialogue or it will save as .txt
3. In Explorer, highlight all the new 0kb romfiles and drag them onto the rom zip. WinZip should open up a dialog box giving you the option to replace the existing files in the archive.

When i am done i get a zip file from 14 Mb .

But what must i do whit the rest . If i understand i must have 2 files , the zip rom and the .gfx file . But how do i get that .gfx file ??

Could somebody help plz

defre posted on Mar 16 2007 at 10:26 AM said:
Hello

Ok at dumpgfx don't work on my pc .
So i must do it manually

This is what i did :

I have ex. Garou.zip 77 Mb

i did this methode
Quicker method (requires WinZip to be installed):

1. Open Notepad into a blank file
2. "Save As..." the first romname, e.g. 096-c1.bin. Repeat, simply changing the number for each cx file. edit: remember to select "All files" in the save dialogue or it will save as .txt
3. In Explorer, highlight all the new 0kb romfiles and drag them onto the rom zip. WinZip should open up a dialog box giving you the option to replace the existing files in the archive.

When i am done i get a zip file from 14 Mb .

But what must i do whit the rest . If i understand i must have 2 files , the zip rom and the .gfx file . But how do i get that .gfx file ??

Could somebody help plz
You NEED to use dumpgfx to generate the gfx file. It's a command line program, the syntax is

dumpgfx.exe {romzipfilename}

for example, if I had everything in the C:\dumpgfx directory:

C:\dumpgfx> dumpgfx garou.zip

This will generate the GFX file, IF you have the correct entry for that game in the ROMRC file...

Of course, if you were to search the Internet, perhaps via Google or somesuch, for a GP2X site that specializes in torrents you might find that someone has already created a working dump that's just waiting for you out there on the .com to download it... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand. :blink: GNGeo2x will automatically create the graphics dump for you. Why do you want to go through this route? :huh:

darkman posted on Mar 16 2007 at 05:36 PM said:
I don't understand. :blink: GNGeo2x will automatically create the graphics dump for you. Why do you want to go through this route? :huh:
GNGeo2X does not successfully create correct gfx dumps for all games with all ROMs. Doing manually allows you to control the process, edit the necessary file yourself, and eventually tweak out a working gfx dump...

jimid2 posted on Mar 16 2007 at 06:23 PM said:
darkman posted on Mar 16 2007 at 05:36 PM said:
GNGeo2X does not successfully create correct gfx dumps for all games with all ROMs. Doing manually allows you to control the process, edit the necessary file yourself, and eventually tweak out a working gfx dump...
Ditto, the automatic graphic dumps did not work properly for me, all the images were broken up, with black chunks and gaps throughout. Using the command-line program did th job very well :)

Good luck!

I have well over 75 Neo Geo games that was dumped by the emulator and have experienced no problem with the games or graphics. That is why I was puzzled.

darkman posted on Mar 17 2007 at 07:22 AM said:
I have well over 75 Neo Geo games that was dumped by the emulator and have experienced no problem with the games or graphics. That is why I was puzzled.
Try Garou Mark of the Wolves, SNK vs. Capcom, Strikers 1945 Plus or Metal Slug 3 - none of these dumped properly in GNGeo2X for me...

jimid2 posted on Mar 17 2007 at 09:43 AM said:
darkman posted on Mar 17 2007 at 07:22 AM said:
Try Garou Mark of the Wolves, SNK vs. Capcom, Strikers 1945 Plus or Metal Slug 3 - none of these dumped properly in GNGeo2X for me...
I got Mark of the Wolves and SNK vs Capcom and they dumped OK and work great. Haven't tried Strikers 1945 or Metal Slug 3.

I'm thinking that it has to do with the rom file. Whether it is good or bad.

darkman posted on Mar 17 2007 at 07:48 PM said:
jimid2 posted on Mar 17 2007 at 09:43 AM said:
I got Mark of the Wolves and SNK vs Capcom and they dumped OK and work great. Haven't tried Strikers 1945 or Metal Slug 3.

I'm thinking that it has to do with the rom file. Whether it is good or bad.
Except that if the ROM files were "bad" they wouldn't work at all, and I can always get them working with a manual GFX dump, though I often have to edit the romrc file myself to correctly recognize my ROMs...

jimid2 posted on Mar 17 2007 at 02:43 PM said:
Garou Mark of the Wolves, SNK vs. Capcom, Strikers 1945 Plus or Metal Slug 3
Aren´t that roms you need a decrypted version of? Maybe that´s your problem.

You NEED to use dumpgfx to generate the gfx file. It's a command line program, the syntax is

dumpgfx.exe {romzipfilename}

for example, if I had everything in the C:\dumpgfx directory:

C:\dumpgfx> dumpgfx garou.zip

This will generate the GFX file, IF you have the correct entry for that game in the ROMRC file...

i did that but it always tells me
cant find romrc
cant load romrc

how do i fix this ? i really want to play metal slug3

BTW: my zip is called mslug3n.zip

Back