Staying private on internet.

Imperialist states are generally not particularly trying to minimize civilian casualties of war and terrorism. Big brother-style monitoring is not at all an effective way to combat terrorism since there is generally no way to stop a sufficiently careful, desperate and determined terrorist. Controversial military activities and a sustained aggressive economical and political strategy of world domination that kills, impoverishes and hence understandably angers large fractions of the world population, those are both the main catalyst of terrorism and the main purpose of intelligence agencies. Hence, in many ways, organizations like the NSA are contributing more towards the stimulation of terrorism than towards countering it.
*signed*

------------------------------------------------

Mind the use of the term "Terrorism".

It's a word nowadays mostly used to justify laws that are in direct conflict with the constitution and nothing more.

"Terrorism" is the creation of fear to achieve a certain goal and that is exactly what those states do with their fear mongering about potential "terrorism".

The goal is total control, as always.

@Levi: If you don't care for your constitutional rights it's your (sad) thing, but you should grant them to all others that take their constitution and human rights seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote Deus Ex: "If there wasn't organized oppression, there wouldn't be organized resistance, and what you call "terrorism" would not exist."
While I agree with what is probably meant, I must add that I'm in favour of oppressing certain religious terrorists. ;-)

To quote Deus Ex: "If there wasn't organized oppression, there wouldn't be organized resistance, and what you call "terrorism" would not exist."
While I agree with what is probably meant, I must add that I'm in favour of oppressing certain religious terrorists. ;-)
I am tempted to aggree. Catholics for example, they cost German tax payers nearly half a billion every year (I'm not making that up).

If religions should be forbidden that have stuff written all over their holy scriptures that stands in direct contrast to our constitution, then everything Bible, Thorah and Quran related would need to be banned... and probably Scientology finally, but I refuse to see this as a religion, it's much more of a mafia like business.

I'm not fond of Apple fanboys either. ;)

I am tempted to aggree. Catholics for example, they cost German tax payers nearly half a billion every year (I'm not making that up).

If religions should be forbidden that have stuff written all over their holy scriptures that stands in direct contrast to our constitution, then everything Bible, Thorah and Quran related would need to be banned... and probably Scientology finally, but I refuse to see this as a religion, it's much more of a mafia like business.
Well, religions can't be forbidden, but everything which is unconstitutional could be forbidden. That means we probably couldn't ban all those religions, but we could ban people who openly read those books in a too literal way (like the Catholics do sometimes, but I guess they would just stop doing that).Shoving money down religion's asses is of course unconstitutional (if it's a good constitution), it contradicts religious freedom.

Personally I'm not too fussed if the NSA et al are looking at my stuff.
Mind looking beyond your nose ? Even if average joe hasn't something to hide (which is doubtfull), what about "bearer of secrets", like lawyers, doctors, journalists, etc. ? And its not just about the goverment getting a peak at your private stuff now and then. All that is collected and translated into profiles that are used to categorize people in order to create relation-structures.The example Klumpen brought up is the best example how this security apparatus can get totally out of control. While its more complicated then Klumpen made it look like, all it needed was that guy new someone from a left wing extremist group - to this day there is not the slightest proof that he was involved in ANY activity concerning that group. Still one saturday morning someone decided that it was time to drag him and his wife and kids with drawn weapons out of their beds and arrest him. What was following was an enduring psychological "torture" for him and his family as he was under constant observation for over a year. Some people around here need to see a psychiatrist after a break-in because they feel their privacy was violated and don't feel secure in their own home anymore. That must be peanuts in comparison as you have to accomodate to the fact that someone might listen to every word you say, could be in your flat every moment you are not at home, might watch what you are doing right now, and this isn't done by some "evil villain" where you can still have the comfort to think that he will get cought and punished eventually, but the "good guys" who are supposed to protect you.

But it hasn't be that extreme, all it needs is to end up on some security list (which are all confidental), to not be able to travel freely anymore, not getting the chemicals you want for your hobby, etc.

All this just so some people can lull themselves into a false sense of security ?

..they're also spying on you and making sure you're not going to blow me up or what have you.
But thats the stupidest thing there can be, you are far more likely to die from an household accident, in traffic, in/due to a natural disaster, an uncountable amount of diseases, food poisoning, a medical error, alcohol abuse (either active or passive), etc. etc. etc. . Why are these millions not spend on preventing you from such threats ? Which also would have the neat side effect that you could actually tell that the money was worth beeing spent on, instead of just beeing told that the money is beeing well spent by those who receive it.
A constitution? What's that? ;)
We know that the brits can't get it right ;) But while there is no single "piece of paper" that has "constitution" written on it, there are a whole lot of things (like magna carta, Bill of Rights, Petition of Rights ,habeas-corpus-act, Common law, numerous comments on law, ... ) that all form some kind of constitution.

Reading this thread through again has made me remember some of the things I used to do in life due to my paranoia.  I know for a fact my family is put on a watch list under the "red" category for political reasons. My family has too many close friends, and I've been personally offered an opportunity by the CIA signed by spooks who just go declassified the day after the letter arrived . However our family friends knew of them.. (And yes I declined that opportunity.. I know for a damn fact how my life would have gone.)

I was very good at least staying invisible on the internet with my personal  information. Conflicting trails, consistent "false" information, .. even the google ads couldn't pin point where I was.  They still have trouble today. However today I know my location. identity and such are known because my well fabricated cover was blown the moment I got a fiance  who liked posting pictures of me up on Facebook. I preferred staying invisible. I seldom post anything online. Honestly there's only two places I post a lot these days.. This place and another forum I frequent. 

But when it comes to "I have nothing to hide.. search me" mindset you instantly lose any ounce of power you had. You give these fuckers an itch and they'll take a mile. It doesn't much to suddenly have a regime emerge where your'e SOL. In the usa we do have weapons but people have a stigma fear of them instilled by our government. There's weapons that are heavily regulated here.. or instantly put you on a list due to crime.. Ironically I was able to find back market shipping lists from the east which allowed you to purchase crap right off of the boat. (going rate for sterilized AKM back in 2008 was 50 USD with 500 rounds of ammunition. If you bought it by the crate it dropped down to 5 dollars an AKM.. also a stolen mercedes was going for 10k with a forged title <_< )  People think that bans will reduce crime or giving up rights will help the government save them... If you're one of these people you're an idiot. Criminals will never stop being criminals, terrorists will never stop being terrorists.. However treating all civilians as such is what makes your happy government turn into a regime.

It's like the frog experiment.. You put a frog into a thing of hot water it will hop out.. however put it in some water and slowly heat it up to boiling it will stay there and die. Politically its the same. As much as we have access to information the government as equal access to get rid of it. The only time a stalemate occurs is when somebody is too well known and if they are killed... sorry "commit suicide" their point is proven and they become martyrs. The systems are skewed against you in general.  I do feel for the people in the UK in many regards you lot have it worst off then we do.

I currently use a paid VPN to gain some anonymity and some brower extensions, mostly all from EFF and Noscript. When it comes to Mails I have a account with PGP but actually no contacts. Atleast most of my online contacts use Instant Messaging with OTR, a program which encrypts text before actually giving it the chatsoftware, which works pretty good even if the software doesnt want it in the first place. In the time when facebook allowed external chat programs it was possible there too, sadly they deactivated it. My FB account are just fake data with no personal information or photos.
For some services I use a two-way-authentification in login, which means you dont only have to use a password but also a code sent per sms. I dont know which name is linked to my SIM card but its a easy way to improve privacy. If any german considers this might check out the provider Ayyildiz and ask a local Kiosk ;)

Still I do some things "wrong", like I was too lazy yet to encrypt my files or get rid of Windows. Things on my to-do list. Its not that I live the install-gentoo-lifestyle but I want to seperate private stuff with questionable software. I will still use Windows + Steam to play games, but my private data will be somewhere else. I have some options in mind to do that.

I really began with this stuff some years ago. I dont see it as a paranoia, more like sport. It doesnt hurt me to secure my data and privacy. I just dont see the point to let others know everything about me. Like DrHAX stated really bad things may happen. And since governments are doing a shit to help us in this point (or even themself which is a whole different topic) I will stick with some NGOs and build up my networks. From time to time I try to chat with local persons about this topic. I cant change everything, but atleast rising the awareness in front of my door.

NSA classifies Linux Journal readers, Tor and Tails Linux users as "extremists":
http://www.techspot.com/news/57316-...-tor-and-tails-linux-users-as-extremists.html
I know the article is two years old, but still relevant.
I have used Tor in the past. I have no interest in personal use of Tails, although it was a part of lessons and assignments in some of my classes. :confused:

I usually check out Linux Journal whenever I come across it. Maybe after I read that article it will make me want to get a subscription. There are other magazines I like that could probably get me the wrong kind of attention that I should rethink my stance on and just get subscriptions and have them mailed to me.
[doublepost=1462924386,1462923802][/doublepost]Reading this last page of this thread just makes me shake my head. I think it is more of a problem to ban things than to permit them. If you apply this too heavily handed you end up with everyone being labeled an enemy of the state. If you have a problem with how involved governments are in people's lives why give them more reason to stick their nose in?

Reactions: rSl
Reading this last page of this thread just makes me shake my head. I think it is more of a problem to ban things than to permit them. If you apply this too heavily handed you end up with everyone being labeled an enemy of the state. If you have a problem with how involved governments are in people's lives why give them more reason to stick their nose in?

they really want more enemies and they create them, to get more funds at the hq and the mil-tech-companies get more orders to make the *huge* cash.
enemies everywhere > citizens are scared > govs 'give them security' by killing 'terrorists' > miltechcompanies get superrich.
this military industrial complex is superevil. killing people for money is just totally sick*. it's capitalism in it's worst form. it's a shame.

*update: killing for other reasons or without any reason at all is totally sick too, of course.

Last edited:
I was talking about the "ban religion" and similar comments. Stuff like that leads to killing people in large numbers, and if doing it for money is "wrong" doing it for any reason would be just as wrong.

Reactions: rSl
Rather pay cash:

Sad fact: I have made some bureaucrats suspicious already because I try to pay cash as often as possible (which isn't even so unusual around here). :/

Last edited:
Rather pay cash:

Sad fact: I have made some bureaucrats suspicious already because I try to pay cash as often as possible (which isn't even so unusual around here). :/

VW just signed a deal with smartCar

Back