GP2X State Of Linux On Gp2x

danboid

Can Linux access all the 2X's 64MB RAM yet?

Anybody got a (3 button) usb mouse and keyboard working under GP2X11 yet?

I've heard that the source has been released for the GP2X's custom mplayer and also that Basilisk can do hi-res TVout as well. Maybe now we have a good chance of a 640x480 or even higher Linux desktop out of the 2X?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. X11 is already available. I've got concept art for a modified version (custom GUI) that would use TV-Out.

orangeos320ll9.png

OrangeOS in LCD mode

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/7644/orangeos1024fz2.jpg
OrangeOS in TV out mode (jpeg)

These are just mockups though, I haven't written any code yet.

Good to hear that the memory problem is solved! Be able to run amule on the 2X now! :)

The latest release of GP2X11 I can find is 0.3 which does seem to say it works with USB keyboard and mouse (I think) but it also says that it can only do TV out at 'standard resolution' so I presume he means 320x240. You really need at least 640x480 to be able to run anything interesting under X11.

What sort of TV could get a 1024x768 picture down a svideo connection like on the BoB? Maybe it could manage that with a (USB?) VGA out to a monitor?

My brother once did 1024x768 tv out from a computer through composite. It was blurry though, but that might've been the tv's fault.

The video chip thats used in the gp2x can output up to 1080i or 1024*768, it also haves rgb and vga connections through they aren't exposed, but you could possibly solder your own connectors to the chip.

Vimacs posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:22 PM said:
The video chip thats used in the gp2x can output up to 1080i or 1024*768, it also haves rgb and vga connections through they aren't exposed, but you could possibly solder your own connectors to the chip.
I thought I heard somewhere that the chip could do alot more but the firmware limited it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter what the chip's capable of, it doesn't really change the fact that normal TVs (ie, not HD) can't display any higher than 720x576 (pal) or 720x480 (ntsc). If you're hoping to run X at 1024x768 on a tv I can't imagine it being very easy on the eyes. It might be useful for some stuff I suppose, but you'd be much better sticking to 640x480.

oqnet posted on Jul 25 2006 at 06:35 AM said:
Vimacs posted on Jul 24 2006 at 04:22 PM said:
I thought I heard somewhere that the chip could do alot more but the firmware limited it?
I don't know about that, it is just a case of initializing the "Encoder chip" for VGA output, that and wiring at least 2 or 3 wires more to make full VGA. (It will do HDTV 1080 too)

woogal posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:39 PM said:
It doesn't matter what the chip's capable of, it doesn't really change the fact that normal TVs (ie, not HD) can't display any higher than 720x576 (pal) or 720x480 (ntsc). If you're hoping to run X at 1024x768 on a tv I can't imagine it being very easy on the eyes. It might be useful for some stuff I suppose, but you'd be much better sticking to 640x480.
I want to run X in 800x600 or 640x480 on a VGA monitor. I don't know why GPH couldn't throw that in when they did the mk II PCB. They ran the USB Device 1.1 out to 2 pins on the EXT, we could use those for the VGA (the two for S-Video would be used as well).

Not to mention the discovery of 5 volts on the voltage regulator for USB and that is nowhere to be seen either on the EXT.

Anyone got an e-mail for the author of gp2X11- I'd like to hear if he's made any progress on getting 640x480 TV output implemented in light of the gp2x mplayer code release / basilisk.

danboid posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:13 PM said:
Anyone got an e-mail for the author of gp2X11- I'd like to hear if he's made any progress on getting 640x480 TV output implemented in light of the gp2x mplayer code release / basilisk.
No, I've not really worked on it at all yet since getting USB peripherals and reducing the CPU usage were more important. I will look at what is involved in getting something working, but I have no idea if it is possible without writing a new output driver from scratch for X.

Thanks for the update Orkie!

Everyone was under the impression that USB keyboards and mice were working now. Obviously this is a problem but I don't understand why as USB keyboards and mice have been working under ARM Linux/X (i.e Zaurus) for some time and people have reported getting these to work fine under Qtopia on the 2X haven't they?

You're right though, this needs to be fixed before the display problem gets tackled

danboid posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:02 PM said:
Thanks for the update Orkie!

Everyone was under the impression that USB keyboards and mice were working now. Obviously this is a problem but I don't understand why as USB keyboards and mice have been working under ARM Linux/X (i.e Zaurus) for some time and people have reported getting these to work fine under Qtopia on the 2X haven't they?

You're right though, this needs to be fixed before the display problem gets tackled

I'm confused about the mice and keyboards business, they worked for me. I logged into GPE with my keyboard, I don't know how much more it can "work" I do admit it may have been a bit buggy. And it certaintly was laggy, so optimization is important of course.

They do work in the latest release. That is what I had been working on up until recently, hence why I haven't worked on the display.

I think the lagging problem is due to the lack of memory. Try making a swap partition/file if you have a USB hard drive - that should help.

Lack of memory? So we still can't access all 64MB RAM on the 2X yet then I presume?

I know the Z has a faster cpu amongst other things but OZ/GPE is very snappy in 64MB RAM on the Z so there's no reason it can't work well on the 2X too (once the memory problem is solved, if thats what it is)

nubie: did you get a USB mouse working under GPE too?

danboid posted on Jul 27 2006 at 03:44 AM said:
Lack of memory? So we still can't access all 64MB RAM on the 2X yet then I presume?

I know the Z has a faster cpu amongst other things but OZ/GPE is very snappy in 64MB RAM on the Z so there's no reason it can't work well on the 2X too (once the memory problem is solved, if thats what it is)

nubie: did you get a USB mouse working under GPE too?
I think it still needs a swapfile, I didn't try one.

I did have both the mouse and keyboard hooked up (it is one of those cheapo PS/2 to USB adapters, it sure looked dumb running my IBM USB mouse into a PS/2 adaptor and then back into a USB adaptor :).

Maybe that could explain the mouse lagging :rolleyes: , I can be a doofus sometimes.

Back