GP2X Starting Out

cactusbin

Still Fresh
How did you get into C/C++ game programming? Where did you learn from? Sorry if it's in the wrong board, just wanted to target devs :p. (this is so I can find out places to start out by the way, and I'm not a programming noob (PHP))

What does the language have to do with game programming? If you can code, then you can code. The language shouldn't matter (unless you're going from procedural to functional languages or something else equally strange).

I got into game programming by reading the Input magazines in the 80s when I was 7. Didn't touch C until over 10 years later, but I'd already written loads of games by that point.

I did little bit here and there in my spare time (BASIC, EPOC, HTML, PHP), then I was accepted into university for Computer Games Technology... and picked up C++ and a tiny bit of Java.

The best way to learn though really is to just try writing programs and when you get stuck, read up on things!

The way to start is to have a goal (or a dream :)). "I want to make a space shooter!", then look into how you may go about it. There are lots of languages out there, some easier and faster to get a grasp of than others.

Take a look at http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/ (look at the three intro chapters by Ed, then some code snippets, then full program source samples). After a year or whenever you feel comfortable, make the jump to C & SDL. Any book that walks you from the basics to the full-fledged will be a great help.

Have fun :)

PokeParadox said:
I did little bit here and there in my spare time (BASIC, EPOC, HTML, PHP), then I was accepted into university for Computer Games Technology... and picked up C++ and a tiny bit of Java.

The best way to learn though really is to just try writing programs and when you get stuck, read up on things!
I probably asked before but can I ask which University?

Last edited by a moderator:
A University?

Actually... in every Russian School, there're programming / IT classes

Pupils study Turbo Pascal, Delphi, C/C++, PHP, VB.. etc..

well, they teach Pascal/C++ at the Universities as well. But i think it's too late for fast education 8)

I started learning some comp.languages at the age of 13... I wish i had started at 10
8)

DJ Amireh said:
How did you get into C/C++ game programming? Where did you learn from? Sorry if it's in the wrong board, just wanted to target devs :p. (this is so I can find out places to start out by the way, and I'm not a programming noob (PHP))
Been coding in C/Assembler since 1983..
C++ since late 80s - actually started on Cflavors until C++ was ratified.
Learnt Cflavors (or was it C++) from a guy (canadian or american - apologies for the confusion :) who repeatedly name-dropped) said he used to go drinking with Brian Kernighan.
Learnt C from work-course & day-release from work; everything else started from there.
Games programming is probably what all frustrated software engineers really want to be doing; so I fit it into lunchtimes at work.
Not released anything yet on gp2x (imminent though) :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, fenix seems doable for me. I've looked around but can't find: a fenix compiler for linux, and a fenix IDE for linux (for the gp2x). If you could point them out I would appreciate it :)

Back