Starcraft For Mac Using Sheepshaver?

Kekerot

Still Fresh
I used to run starcraft on my mac performa with a 92mhz powerPC processor. If the pandora is clocked at 900mhz would it be possible to run starcraft under emulated MacOS?

Requirements for the game are:
PowerMac
16mb RAM
System 7.6 or higher
256-color, 640x480 display or better

If I remember correctly, PowerPC uses the RISC instruction set, not the ARM.

If you want games to run on the Pandora they have to be emulated OR have binaries specifically compiled for ARM.

Butterman said:

If you want games to run on the Pandora they have to be emulated OR have binaries specifically compiled for ARM.
He said he wanted to emulate the game using Sheepshaver. I'm not sure whether the Pandora has enough power for this, though. Maybe a dev could give an estimate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Butterman said:

ARM = advanced risc machine ;)
there probably are some differences, but you can expect them to be quite similar i think

arrrgh said:
Butterman said:

He said he wanted to emulate the game using Sheepshaver. I'm not sure whether the Pandora has enough power for this, though. Maybe a dev could give an estimate?

Yea thats what I wanted to know. I was able to run warcraft 2 on my nokia n810 with basilisk II under MacOS 8 but it ran pretty slow and that is only a 68k mac not powerPC.

Powermacs use a PowerPC chip which uses the PowerPC instruction set. The Pandora uses an ARM, which uses the ARM instruction set. There's a little confusion around the term "RISC" which refers to both a type of proceesor (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) and also can be used to desribe the MIPS RISC instruction set used in MIPS processors. Suffice to say, you will need to emulate a PowerPC processor to run StarCraft, which would work as long as SheepShaver works...but likely won't be all that fast. Whether it's fast enough to be playable is yet to be seen.

-John

hopefully starcraft will be playable in some form whether it be through this a n64 emulator or stratagus. i loved this game so much

If someone made a specific PowerPC emulator for arm, the similarity between the two processors is probably exploitable.

And, about WC2, that's already playable through DOSbox.

Etinin said:
If someone made a specific PowerPC emulator for arm, the similarity between the two processors is probably exploitable.

They're really not all that similar.

Exophase said:
Etinin said:

They're really not all that similar.

True.

SheepShaver claims 1/8 native speed on x86, but I think that's pretty well-optimized. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Starcraft to be playable if a developer decides to do an optimized port. I don't know that there would be anyone with the knowledge to do that who would be willing to try, though.

Kekerot posted on May 22 2009 at 09:05 PM said:
your reason being...?
Nothing has changed that requires us to take this up again.
Although I have to agree that Stracraft would be awesome, at least if we get b.net connections working ;) (which is the smallest of the problems)

Back