Spoke To The Factory

Clean3d said:
As an artist, it's tough for me to convey some thing with words.

Pandora.jpg

...simply breathtaking, I think I might have an asthma attack :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!
YES IT DOES!

I would use that.. No Worries! I think many would!
Send it to ED and the WIPs thread.

I has Pandora ( ;) )> :pandora2ut4:
:pandora2ut4: <( -_- ) '[sup][sub]zzzz [/sub][/sup]But I got so very bored
So I Played It!!!!!! ('> :pandora2ut4: <')

Haiku can be fit to any situation!

One thing. I hope they don't misunderstand "All right, they are greenlighted, GO!" and we get 4000 light-green cases right on time.

Paradox said:
hooray
hope I get mine before the stupid chinese holiday crap
You won't. The Chinese New Year is six days from now. Less, in fact.

If we're very lucky they might put some plastic pieces in a box and ship them to Texas right before they turn the lights out and lock up the factory for a week or two.

The pandoras still have to wait for the cases to be shipped to Texas, assemble them, test them, package them up along with their power supplies and their "Read This First" instruction sheet (I assume), then they need to be matched up with their optional accessories and shipped out to customers. And who knows what steps I just forgot.

So there's still some time before you get your Pandora. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's important to stay realistic.

VRAndy said:
Paradox said:
hooray
hope I get mine before the stupid chinese holiday crap
You won't. The Chinese New Year is six days from now. Less, in fact.

If we're very lucky they might put some plastic pieces in a box and ship them to Texas right before they turn the lights out and lock up the factory for a week or two.

The pandoras still have to wait for the cases to be shipped to Texas, assemble them, test them, package them up along with their power supplies and their "Read This First" instruction sheet (I assume), then they need to be matched up with their optional accessories and shipped out to customers. And who knows what steps I just forgot.

So there's still some time before you get your Pandora. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's important to stay realistic.

political-pictures-mahmoud-ahmedinejad-reject-reality.jpg

I'M GETTING MY PANDORA IN UNDER A WEEK!

mcobit said:
Pleng said:
Cool :)

I wonder what the next thing to go wrong will be?

All produced Pandoras are destroyed in a big planecrash ;-)
They won't all be destroyed. About 40 will survive and crash on an island. Unfortunately, they can never leave. Also they travel through time and other shit.

atomicthumbs said:
(naw)mcx said:
Fucked up angle.
BONUS: Fucked Up Thumb.
Pff. I have my username for a reason, you know.

4342599574_1b8cff7000.jpg
My left thumb does that... my right thumb doesn't.
I think it's too much running right with Sonic and Mario...

Rotsiser Mho said:
Madcad77 said:
Ok, Chinese new year is coming (Feb 14th), and this literally means China will be shut for 2 weeks (according to Chinese mould makers I liaise with in my work). The open Pandora team disparity need the finished mouldings shipped before the weekend.

Question: Do you have design freeze on all of the components (are you confident that the current design, if produced to drawing, will work without any further adjustments)?

if the answer is yes, then I can only suggest what I would do, given the same situation:

There is now no reason why an order for the full quantity cannot be placed on the moulders, given the right amount of quality control. The Pandora team need to make it clear to the mould makers what is acceptable, and what is not, use plenty of marked up images in a document that clearly describes the current issues.

The images I have seen show little or no finishing, the surface finish of these parts is critical as often, it covers the imperfections of the mould. Decide on a level of surface roughness, the VDI or Ra index for spark erosion is universally accepted to be the norm.

Most importantly make it clear to the moulders that if the quality of the components does not meet your requirements, then these parts will fail inspection and be rejected back to supplier, at their cost. Also make it clear that this process is not only for the initial batch, but every subsequent batch supplied indefinitely.

It is also standard practice to request a certificate of conformity for material supplied with every batch, and also an ISIR (Initial sample inspection report) for the first batch, detailing the accuracy of the critical dimensions and features to tolerances provided on the drawings (useful paperwork, if there is such a thing).

I'm not promising these actions will get you everything perfect, but it does give you a get out of jail free card, if things do go wrong again. Hopefully you will get a sizable quantity of good parts to use for production, and get the ball rolling.

I have not suggested anything here that is not industry standard, In fact any company that wants ISO9001 certification, needs procedures as described above.

Good luck.

Ps, It is now Monday, 5am in China, they will all be in work in 3-4 hours time.
MWeston said:
Late to the party as always but yay on the green light!! :D

Fatih had some other good stuff to say that makes a more technically concerned person like myself happy:

"He told me that this is just a sample to see the changes. All those scratches, marks, discolored parts, rough edges and plastic overflows will not exist in final production. I asked the reason for these as well and how will they disappear during production. He told me that during production a water cooling system will be set up to avoid these problems. He told me that because the workers was in a hurry they dripped those coating and made rough edges etc. According to him there won't be any problems during production because they have a ISO standard quality control procedure."

As someone who works for a company with an "ISO standard quality control procedure" I feel I should reiterate what Madcad77 has said here. An ISO-compliant QC system means nothing without well-defined requirements. If the factory does not have EXTREMELY explicit instructions as to the required specs. of the cases (amount of roughness, etc. as Madcad77 stated) there is NO MEANS to actually measure the quality (as quality is quite subjective, as 40+ pages of discussion will attest to).

All I'm saying is please, PLEASE make sure the factory knows EXACTLY what OpenPandora expects, not in words, not in poorly translated emails, but in engineering drawings with unambiguous units and markings. That's the only way quality will be ensured when they start cranking out thousands of these.
Quoting this again, just in case.

And hoping for the best...

PokeParadox said:
atomicthumbs said:
(naw)mcx said:
Fucked up angle.
BONUS: Fucked Up Thumb.
Pff. I have my username for a reason, you know.

4342599574_1b8cff7000.jpg
My left thumb does that... my right thumb doesn't.
I think it's too much running right with Sonic and Mario...

Pft.. Both of mine do that.. AND they bend at a 90 degree angle without touching them. [Yeah, I know you're impressed B) ]

Back