Splicing Original XBOX cable with female USB

Aether Lion

Staff member
Halfway Between Hell and Purgatory, Pennsylvania
So I've got the Original Xbox cable all cut up, along with a female usb. They both have a White, Black, Green, and Red wire. However, the xbox cable has an additional yellow and blue wire. The yellow wire is worthless though. That means I have 5 cables going into 4.
What do I do with the blue wire?

The original Xbox did not have standard USB cable, but a proprietary standard with 1 more contact. So you won't be able to make an adaptor or something with a normal USB plug, it just doesn't work. You could, however, use a USB 3.0 connector and use one of the additional lanes to make a custom connector. It's always the same with Microsoft, they disregard industry standards like OpenGL or DirectInput to build a monopoly...

What are you even trying to do?

This rather sparse gif suggests it will work: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ind...PSESSID=88o88svde94i6nauiu54fd3ms1#msg1406464

I don't know what colour wires you have - perhaps what is blue in yours is black in the diagram? Or some other permutation of the colours - it should be pretty obvious I'd hope if you've popped a connector casing off. Could you report back?
They both have a White, Black, Green, and Red wire. However, the xbox cable has an additional yellow and blue wire.

Hmm, maybe the blue wire is attached the the metal shield that's inside the clear plastic. Have you got a multimeter with probes, so something else you could use to check continuity?

All of my xbox controllers are in storage, so I can't check to see how many contacts there appear to be from the outside even.

I don't have anything like that :/
However, there are metal shields on both so I would assume that the wire wouldn't function as a secondary one. :p
Why would you assume that? Many cables include multiple ground connectors.
[doublepost=1466045887,1466044948][/doublepost]Did you mean to post a video of the process that you are trying to accomplish demonstrated by an inept person using Fiskars scissors and a lighter for simple wire stripping? His answer to, "I have an extra wire," was by the way, to just cut one off of the xbox extension.

Hold on, let me just take pics of what is going on to show. I'm not terribly smart with wiring. I'm a software kinda guy. :p
You can see the extra blue and yellow wires.
Also there was string but I assume the string is irrelevant. :p

Attachments

• 20160616_013830.jpg
    20160616_013830.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 579
  • 20160616_013933.jpg
    20160616_013933.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 672
  • 20160616_013944.jpg
    20160616_013944.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 635
Hmm, without a continuity tester it's hard to say which wire should be connected to which other one. Perhaps wiring up colour to colour will work though - does it?

I'd say it's reasonable to assume one of those wires is connected to the shield. Testing a random USB cable I just found suggests USB doesn't connect one shield to the other, so it only packs the four wires from the four contacts. Most older cables like d-type or mini din are conventionally braided, and that braid is connected to the shell at either end, providing an earth to the connected device (as well as an RF shield for when you don't need an earth), but I guess with most USB devices being double earthed (aka made of plastic) an earth isn't necessary, and USB doesn't care about RF interference for various reasons. But you'd better hope your metal cased hard disc caddy or USB stick is appropriately fused in case your computer decides to send a 1000V spike down to it.

You can make an easy continuty tester with a battery (5V is best), LED, resistor and wire to connect it all together, except for one wire to the battery. Connect the unconnected side of the battery to one end of the thing you want to test, and the other unconnected end to the other end of the thing. Should be doable even without a soldering iron.

Last edited:
Yes, and also that yellow isn't needed. Assuming the red and black are probably wired up correctly if you're just going by colours, so the only sorting problem would be that other two wires could be the wrong way round. I don't know what happens if you wire up data+ to data- ; they both carry the same data, albeit one is the inverse of the other.

Back