Special Order

Hồng Thất Công

Đả Cẩu Bổng Pháp
Hi Ed,

For the second time, I've broken the two cases for my OpenPandora, because I squeezed them too much in tense situations when playing games.  Also, I'm a rough boy and pretty much damage stuff around me if they are not made tough enough.  So due to the fragile nature of the plastic cases, would it be possible I could place a special order from you to make a silver aluminum case?.  I mean the real METAL silver case.  Please let me know.  I'll sell my house and my car to buy it  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
REALY STRONG case I meant to say  :D    I'm sure tons of people interested not just myself.

Which real metal case?  I'm not aware that anyone's ever made one.

Might be cheaper to buy a USB gamepad you can destroy instead.
Ah!  this will defeat the portability of the Pandora...  Looks a little clumsy on the bus

This won't happen, with only ~5000 (wild guess) people having a Pandora and only a small fraction that would be interested in buying one, this would be a hughe loss.

Maybe some mod could move this into the Ask Ed section ?

I think it adds too much to the cost and also break the internal wifi(even more).

For this to make sense you need a high volume of people to upgrade to the aluminium cases otherwise the price will be insane.

Aluminium cases will need a steel mould and a company that is willing to "print" these moulds.

You're probably looking at $200k.

So to answer your question.. Unless you pay the $200k the answer is nope :p

Aluminium cases will need a steel mould and a company that is willing to "print" these moulds.

You're probably looking at $200k.

So to answer your question.. Unless you pay the $200k the answer is nope :p
$200k for a single case?  Don't know much about 3d printing but would this be possible on a 3d printer and would it be cheaper there?

3d printing a steel mold :lol:

with a tachyon fusion laser, probably.

For a one-off metal case you're probably best getting a CNC machinist to mill out the parts from solid chunks. Something the size of the Pandora case would probably run about $800 at a guess.

on a side note the alu case will probably kill the onboard wifi for good.

This won't happen, with only ~5000 (wild guess) people having a Pandora and only a small fraction that would be interested in buying one, this would be a hughe loss.

Maybe some mod could move this into the Ask Ed section ?
on a side note the alu case will probably kill the onboard wifi for good.
Who cares.  The internal wifi sucks anyway.

That RPi case is more than twice the price of the RPi itself..

Who cares.  The internal wifi sucks anyway.
Maybe these guys are the way to go, they offer a lot of different materials.
You would still need the 3D-Model though
I'm interested, but where can I get the 3d Model?  I'm sure this 3d model is Ed's and OPT's bread-and-butter.  So the only viable solution is for ED to go to this website and upload this 3d-model and see if they can make it.  But I'm sure if Ed's NOT willing to help out in this case though  :D

Afaik, the design is property of Davec, so Ed wouldn't have the rigth to upload it anywhere unless he has the approval of the designer..

Man!  I could imagine how awesome the Pandora would be in a stainless steel case!  It would just be a different class!   :D

Back