Speakers

Neomorpheus

Website
www.geocities.com
I'm thinking of getting some new speakers for my PC, maybe some 5.1 digital ones, but I've read on some sites that you dont get the full surround sound in games with digital speakers and the 5.1 only work right while watching DVDs! Can anyone help me out?

'full surround sound' - I guess you mean a 5:1 mix

you only get *true* 5:1 surround sound, if the mediatype has been MIXED in a 5:1 format

for example - most vinyl albums are mixed in stereo - left and right channel - you will not get 5:1 here

games are generally stereo as well, but some I believe are mixed in 5:1 - these should work if the speakers support 5:1

dvds as well - not all are mixed in 5:1.... it's a mixing/mastering issue.. not a speakers one... if the speakers/dvd/game support 5:1, you should be sorted ;)

Games do not use the same soundsystem movies use but there are a lot of games that do take advantage of your surround speakers. Example: when playing Warcraft III the sound does 'move' with the characters, when they move to the left so does the sound and when they move out of direct sight the sound also moves from the front to the back-speakers. This really ads to the gameplay IMO.

Most music is stereo but the music is often mixed to four speakers (left to front-left and back-left, and right to front-right and back-right) and sometimes even the center speaker is used but this depends on your soundcard, speakers, drivers and the programs you use (RealOne only 'uses' my front-speakers, WMP both front and back and when using Linux the music also plays through my center speaker).

hmmmm buy a really nice sound card + an amplifier and some good hifi quality speakers :/ i have switched back 2 this kind of set out because the quality i find is unparalleled + well 1 of my ears is slightly weaker than the other so 'surround sound' works just aswell as stereo. If your bothered about listening for enemies + where they are headphones are the only way

if you have a half descent sound card then i couldnt reccomend THESE more! they are great value and a they make a loud enough sound for anybody!

Yep you will need a good soundcard that can handle it. I don't have 5.1 but would reccommend Videologic/Pure Digital 5.1 speakers, I have the 2.1 version and it is very good.

Thanks for your replys,
The reason I ask is because some speakers i've been reading about, mainly the creative inspire 5500 5.1, can't do 5.1 in games, they only do 5.1 when watching dvds which i think is a right con.

Back