Speakers Sound Doesn't Stop With Headphone Plugged

Website
Visit site
The screen issues and the related firmware upgrading kept me from trying to use my GP2X with headphones.

The strange thing is that when I insert headphones in their plug sound keeps coming from the speakers as if the built in switch isn't working.

Is this a HW fault ?

Does someone have this very same problem ?

I was so happy I resolved my screen problems, that thinking to send back to Craig my unit really depress me... :(

Are you sure the headphones are in all the way. I tried headphones yesterday and could here sound from the speakers. I just pushed the jack in harder and sound was clear and loud .

Are you sure the headphones are in all the way. I tried headphones yesterday and could here sound from the speakers. I just pushed the jack in harder and sound was clear and loud .

That's what I did and it made the plug come lose disappear into the gp2x. Now earphones are not possible anymore :(

Last edited by a moderator:
when I insert headphones in their plug sound keeps coming from the speakers as if the built in switch isn't working.
This happens for me - the headphones work perfectly but the sound keeps coming from the built-in speakers... so is it correct that with the music and video player the speakers should automatically mute when headphones are plugged in?

leamington posted on Dec 12 2005 at 07:27 PM said:
when I insert headphones in their plug sound keeps coming from the speakers as if the built in switch isn't working.
This happens for me - the headphones work perfectly but the sound keeps coming from the built-in speakers... so is it correct that with the music and video player the speakers should automatically mute when headphones are plugged in?

Yes, sound should stop from the speakers when the HP is inserted; if it does not happen it is a very bad sign.

It seems that all GP2Xs with that symptom end with a broken headphone jack; sorry to have to say that. :(

Not that bad a problem, just resolder the contacts and glue the jack in place, to hold it solid, only two or three connections right?.

weirdocollector posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:41 PM said:
Yes, sound should stop from the speakers when the HP is inserted; if it does not happen it is a very bad sign.
:(
hmm... is it possible to open it up and solve the problem by bending the metal connectors in the socket a bit?

I actually find that headphones work best when they ARENT inserted all the way into the plug. Pushing it all the way in (even gently) appears to mess up the connection, on my unit anyways. If you're having trouble with the headphones, try actually pulling the plug out a little. And yes, the speakers turn off for me when I have it positioned correctly.

What software are you using?
Speaker on / off with headphones is a software setup.

Try with the MP3 player, should work there.
Doesn't work with DrMD, Narcissu, etc.

They don't turn off the speakers.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 12 2005 at 06:13 PM said:

Wierd, it works for me. I'm using firmware 1.0.1, not sure if that matters though.

update: I tried some differerent earphones and it's working perfectly... the plugs on the all the other ones I had tried wouldn't fit all the way in due to the socket being slightly recessed from the hole in the casing

EvilDragon posted on Dec 12 2005 at 06:13 PM said:

That's not true, I've played Sensible Soccer on DrMD with my headphones in and the speakers were turned off.

Andrew

Strange. I only had this with these games.

And I came to the conclusion that it's software related since

a) Speakers in MP3 player are mono where headphones are stereo (I thought it was hardware, but it can be fixed with software).
B) The MP3 player sometimes stops when you plugin the headphones while playing and continues playing when you remove them. So it's definately being recognized by software :)

Back