Hardware Sound only in 1 ear. Faulty audio jack

FBnil

They'll own everything and be miserable.
Hello, my Pandy has had quite a few fixes over the years that I could do myself (dead nubs, purple screen of death, falls that caused the eprom to die). But now I have an audio problem: When you plug in the headphones only one side gives audio (the other slowly started failing and does not give any audio). Now usually, you just solder the audiojackplug out, and replace it with a new one, only: I do not want to lift the board, because the circular nub bases are held together by sheer willpower (cracked beyond basic repair) and I am afraid I will not be able to put the unit back again.

Is there a place where I can poke with a needle to get audio again?

What works:
  • both speakers work
  • speakers are disabled when an audio jackplug is plugged in

Are the headphones just headphones or a headset? The Pandora was designed before Apple IPhone became a thing and ruined the headset jack standard at the time, so the ground and Mic connections are reversed from the Apple standard that took over all devices.

Strange, i used Iphone Standart Headsets on Pandora (only to listen) and it workd well..
Mybe your Earphones have some cable crack..
Dit you allready try a diverent pear of Earphones??

Strange, i used Iphone Standart Headsets on Pandora (only to listen) and it workd well..
Mybe your Earphones have some cable crack..
Dit you allready try a diverent pear of Earphones??

Not sure how you can do this without distorted audio, unless you have the mic button held down to provide a ground path. The Microphone and Ground pin are literally reversed.

Edit: I have to use one of these to get proper sound from my headset. :http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronic_TRRS_Adapter_for_P_Version_Headphones_p/adptr-trrs-35.htm

Last edited:
No I use normal *(non-macintosh/apple inc) headphones. The headphones are ok. It is something mechanical in the pandora.
Yeah, I also have an adapter, it came with the phonehorn I bought

Commonly, apparently, the switch that switches between headphones and speakers can get clogged up. I think that's located towards the far end of the headphone hole - possibly it's hooked up somehow to the clip that holds your headphones in. This is accessible from the underside of the board, so you'll only need to unscrew the bottom to get at it. However, I'm not sure if poking at it, blowing compressed air into it, or doing something else with it is the best way to fix it.

Also, there's a stereo line out available on your EXT port. Not ideal if you want to listen on the move, but if you're within range of an amplifier of some sort, it's the best way to get sound out IME.

The volume wheel is probably dirty. I have had this problem and corrected it by rotating the wheel until I get audio in both ears (The ideal solution is to use contact cleaner though)

@Wally: Thanks for the suggestion, however it is not the wheel (although it crackles sometimes when turned), because both L and R work on the normal speakers.
@levi: Compressed air did not work. Yeah, now got a contraption now but I need a female-female connector to plug in headphones. The stereo does work at least on the receiver I connected it to.

Ok now i used my new Sennheiser earphones whit pandora (there are for IOS) and i noticed some strange audio issues whit gpsp..
It workd but it seems like some note ditnt get played correktly..
So lets hope for the automatic IOS/Standart Headphone Out Circuit on Pyra..

Only gpsp? Which game? Does it sound "hollow"?

Got audio on both channels again. Just a bit of prodding with a needle...

If you have headphones with a microphone and a push button, try holding down the button. This shorts together the mic and ground (temporarily disabling the microphone while it's pressed), so it doesn't matter which ring the device uses for ground. On my newest headphones with microphone, I have to do that to get good audio out. I'm thinking of building a short cable that reverses ground and microphone rings, so I can use them with my Pandora.

So lets hope for the automatic IOS/Standart Headphone Out Circuit on Pyra..

Yep, the Pyra automatically determines the type of headset you use and switches, so you can use Apple and Standard headsets and headphones :)

Ok, on the intro of Twistet Metal 4, the voice is not louth enought, seems like its realy because the Apple Headphone..
But its normal when i put a cable which makes the cable longer between pandora and headphone cable..

Back