Song Bird Port Anyone?

novaslogic said:
Was wondering if anyone plans on porting it, its open source :-D. Like a better iTunes in my opinion.

http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer

Now Songbird is a damn cool application. I never used it that much for purely playing music, but it was fantastic for finding music. I would love to be able to download music through Songbird on the go.

Seriously, imagine just hearing a song on the radio while your on the go, and being like, I want that. Just open up Songbird on your Pandora, search for the song, dl so easily, and listen. It's so great.

Not sure of the complications of porting it though. It runs on the same platform as Firefox right?

Last edited by a moderator:
It should just work, without any complications, since it is based on XUL (like firefox).

I, too, am a big fan of Songbird. Songbird should be port-able (I mean it should be possible to port it) since it's based on Firefox, and Firefox 3 already works on the hardware. I'd also like to see Flock and Miro ported to the Pandora. That would help make it a highly valuable media device.

I like songbird a lot, but amarok is my one true love as far as media players go. however, if songbird were ported, i'd definitely use it.

novaslogic said:
well, it seems we have a positive view. Anyone up for the task?
If I had the knowledge I would totally want to port Songbird. However, I'm don't know much at all. I know Java, a bit of PHP, tried learning Python and then stopped so I don't remember a lot of it, and tried learning C++ and stopped and don't remember a lot of it (but C is pretty similar to Java...except that you have to do your own memory management).

quadomatic said:
novaslogic said:
well, it seems we have a positive view. Anyone up for the task?
If I had the knowledge I would totally want to port Songbird. However, I'm don't know much at all. I know Java, a bit of PHP, tried learning Python and then stopped so I don't remember a lot of it, and tried learning C++ and stopped and don't remember a lot of it (but C is pretty similar to Java...except that you have to do your own memory management).

hmm.. well I know basic c++. Maybe can take a look at the code, might be as simple as recompiling it for arm.

Back