someone please make an Amstrad CPC Emulator

mccyril

Still Fresh
Website
www.angelfire.com
Hi,
As an owner of 3 Amstrad CPC computers (464, 664, 6128) I've had the 664 since they were released. i think it would be really great if someone could make an Emulator (a bit like Frodo or CastawayGP) so we can run CPC games on our GP32's.
Roland on the ropes, Harrier Attack and Oh Mummy are really cool games or more to the point, Were.
Im sure theres alot of people that would like to see this happen

Please, Please, Please

-mccyril

What is an Amstrad CPC? Well, even if I knew what it was I wouldn't be able to do it, so sorry. :unsure:

I would like to have a CPC emulator, too (currently I own 2x464, 1x664, 2x6128). A good step would be the Linux port of Arnold (you can get it from http://www.cpcszene.de/~nurgle - he currently has some problems with his page) since it is based on SDL and X11. I currently don't have the time to do that :-(.

Right...just to keep you Amstrad loving GP32 owning folks up to date,
as i know i cant be the only one!
I have contacted each author of every Amstrad CPC emulators for Windows
in regards to a port for the GP32.
State of play is as follows:

Arnold:
Kevin Thacker very kindly said he would welcome anyone doing a port
of his emulator, although he expressed concerns as to its speed in
regards to the rendering code, which he says he may rewrite to be
more "porting friendly". Still the best bet so far, volunteers anyone?

Caprice:
Had no response so far.

CoPaCabana
After an initially positive response from one of this emulators authors,
the follow up was less so. Hasnt ruled it out, but hasnt exactly given
the green light either. Saying that, according to their website a port
is apparently being made for the Palm OS right now - that platforms first
CPC emulator, so perhaps when this is ready someone could port this over.
Second best bet id guess.

CPC Emu
Author responded expressing concerns that the ARM 133Mhz CPU may not
be powerful enough. He may well also be doing an emulator for Palm OS
as hes had requests for it, and will evaluate the feasibility of a GP32
version after this is achieved. Would also require a GP32 port of SDL,
a project for the porting of SDL has commenced for the GBA, so extra
work definitely required here. Third best bet, albeit a long shot.

CPCE
Author dutifully pointed out that this emulator is unportable due to it
being 100% 80X86 assembler. Fair enough. So a definite no no there!

WinApe
Had no response so far.

Any further progress and ill let you all know.

Well, Ulrich Doewich of Caprice has written back to me and said that he finds the GP32 a very interesting console, and whilst he doesnt have the time to do a port himself he said he would offer the source and any help to anyone who volunteered to!

So thats BOTH Arnold and Caprice sources+help on offer! Got to be SOMEBODY out there who would be interested in doing this!

For those that might get the joke, can someone program a 464+ / 664+ emulator? Pleeease, as the actual units were so much fun to use! ;)

Roms - Takes all the fun out really!!!

Lazer Squad anyone? :blink:

Oh - And if we're talking about games... Switchblade. Considering the hardware, that game was a piece of work!!! (If you think about what modes could be used, the the max number of colours allowed for each mode - And then see what the coders done with that game... I was impressed!)

mccyril posted on May 20 2003 said:
Hi,
As an owner of 3 Amstrad CPC computers (464, 664, 6128) I've had the 664 since they were released. i think it would be really great if someone could make an Emulator (a bit like Frodo or CastawayGP) so we can run CPC games on our GP32's.
Roland on the ropes, Harrier Attack and Oh Mummy are really cool games or more to the point, Were.

Please, Please, Please

-mccyril

The have it is called CaPriCe.

mccyril posted on May 20 2003 said:
Hi,

Please, Please, Please

-mccyril

They have... http://www.caprice32.cybercube.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, but the current GUI isn't finished in the Caprice CVS and Caprice doesn't support the "plus" range of the CPCs (464+, 6128+). AFAIK the current emulator only reads snapshot files, too.
Maybe I will ask Nurgle (author of the Linux port of Arnold) if he has some ideas about porting Arnold to the GP2x...

Back