[SOLVED] TK/TCL not installed Properly... (bug fix)

So after all that work, the fix is simply..

Install tk-dev by putting sudo opkg install tk-dev into a terminal. Doesn't matter if it throws up errors about not installing things correctly, It should still give you everything you need to get this working.

Once tk-dev is installed, you can edit the listbox.tcl file by putting the following in a terminal..

sudo mousepad /usr/lib/tk8.4/listbox.tcl

..and commenting lines 178 through 198 out by placing a # in front of them and saving the changed file.

Then doing..

sudo mousepad /usr/lib/tk8.4/text.tcl

..and commenting out lines 453 through 474 and saving the file.

Start up python in the terminal, import turtle and test it out with turtle.forward(50).

Brilliant. Cheers for the fix :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is only a workaround. Our good old Tcl/Tk 8.4 version is simply not compatible with our not that old version of X11 (the number of events changed on the X side, now overlapping with virtual Tcl/Tk ones; also see the Tcl/Tk bug tracker for a discussion of this problem). In theory bad things could happen even with your changes, but if I understand the bug discussion correctly the workaround will be good enough in practice (if 8.4 is sufficient; it isn't for PySolFC that contains a tkinter built for Tcl/Tk 8.5).

Yeah it does need to be sorted out properly, but this should suffice for now. There might not be much point in putting loads of effort into this if .next is going to be mature enough to use full time soon. Hopefully all the Python stuff in that will be fully up to date.

At least this will allow people that are learning, to code directly on their Pandoras. I follow tutorials on my Kindle whilst coding on my Pandora when I'm down at my parents house and I hate having to stop for such a small problem as this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had to do a re-install and found out the run through I gave didn't work.

Turns out that I had forgotten that I needed to install tk-dev through opkg first, otherwise there aren't any files to edit.

Edited my post to include the correct instructions :)

Back