[solved] Could not find Internet address for Pandora's box

dan3008

Every time I try and launch xfce, either directly or from minimenu, I get the above error during the dns checks... I can still access the Internet (posted from my Pandora) so it's not a serious dns probproblem, just annoying. Anyone else had this/knows a solution? Thanks

Dan

Turns out my host name (pandora's box) was invalid. Changed it and it works perfectally now... boy do i feel stupid. Worst bit, I know that it was an invalid host name, I just clicked defaults during setup :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Launching xfce shouldn't involve accessing the network in any form - when I boot up (direclty into xfce, for what it's worth) I don't even have networking up yet.   So I'm not sure what DNS lookups it could be doing that are failing.

That term 'pandora's box' I only recognise from the first boot script, so I wonder if actually it's something to do with that that I've forgotten about.  How does the error appear, in an error window?  Can you check that you've got the wording of the error absolutely correct?

Its a popup of sort.

I've got it open in front of me now (The previous post was from memory) so here goes:

Could not look up internet address for pandora's box.

This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding pandora's box to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

Attached is a photo I've taken of my screen as its displayed. Oh and I was wrong, it was during "Verifying dns settings" not dns checks... not bad for from memory. I have heard of something similar being a problem with samba, so that could be the issue, if my samba is mis-configured  

Picture 7.jpg

I've never seen that error, it seems like it's worded poorly or in broken english.

You can get into minimenu right? Can you open a terminal and check the contents of the /etc/hosts file?

mine looks like this (Of course the last entry is what I set my Pandora to in the first boot wizard):

Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost trashyOP-1Ghz

I can still get into Xfce, I just press continue, and everything seems to work... I'll try adding pandoras box to my host file now, one sec...

that might be my problem :)

the current host's file is:

127.0.0.1 pandora's box localhost.localdomain localhost

Looks like its the wrong way round. I'll have a go at fixing it

nope... although, it could be an invalid host name, so i'm going to change it, see if that helps

--edit--

solved. It was an invalid host name... So changed it to something without a space or ' and its worked... Gah, why didnt setup prompt me on that one? lol

The first boot wizard is a very basic script, my guess there isn't any kind of validation... it's most likely the apostrophe, the space just would give you another host name called box.

I think your right. The worst bit here. I work as an IT admin, on a debian system, and I must yell at at least one person a day for wanting to give their workstation an invalid name, and wanting me to fix it when the system wont let them :/ I should know better lol

Back