Solar Charging Anyone?

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Voltaic%20Amp.jpg

In response to the poll I put up a few weeks back concerning my little Pandora Shop project, I decided to give this Voltaic Amp a test drive before ordering more or needing a better solution. It works, not straight out of the box because the PSP sized adapter isn't one of the five included from the manufacturer, but Voltaic has all the ends covered for any additional needs.

I substituted my Psyclone PSP adapter cable in place of the cable end needed thanks to male standard USB that plugs into the power out of the Voltaic amp. I like knowing that when the world decides to end that I can be playing some video games to enjoy the ride. I also like knowing that I'm lessening my carbon footprint by using this to charge my Pandora and other electronics, even if it is just a few kWh. It's case is made out of recycled soda bottles for anyone else that bleeds green.

Let me know what you think. I'm making progress with the website too, so please check it out. Anyone that might have insight on how I get Drupal to work with Google Checkout nicely would save me some frustration as I just got all the modules in place after a few phone calls to my web host. This Drupal is new to me but a fun learning experience.

I already have several sizes of Pelican cases for the Pandora and SD card wallets available just trying to make the shopping cart function. I hope to have some of the Voltaic Amps with the universal PSP adapters end available in the store prior to receiving end of Batch 1 Pandoras on order. Haven't heard anything from Grado, but the Westone ball is rolling regarding turning this work of art into a true multi-media head trip. They just released a new set of IEMs that I'm drooling over, but you can only wear one set at a time :)

As with everytime solar charging is mentioned, I'll just remind you and anyone else following your footsteps to take great care about leaving your Pandora in the sun. Black plastic + sun + electronics = broken electronics ;)

very cool, i wouldnt use it all the time, and i love the idea of being able to use your pandora when most of earths population is dead, however, i definately want 1!

+1 to what WizardStan said

I am interested in buying the same voltaic solar charger...

Bit confused about the connector needed. Can i use one supplied or do i have to manufactor one myself...?

I have a PowerMonkey, which the solar cells charge a battery (can't remember the size). That would ensure that your pandy doesn't get cooked... but it takes between 2 to 3 really sunny uk days to fully charge.... (ps uk we hardly get sun)

I haven't tested if it can power my pandy yet, I'll give it a go this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in buying the same voltaic solar charger...

Bit confused about the connector needed. Can i use one supplied or do i have to manufactor one myself...?
You have to order the PSP adapter separate from Voltaic. When I stock these in the shop, I will buy the extra adapters and include the one needed for the Pandora.

This idea...

david_caruso_sunglasses.jpg

...shines above the rest.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I have a PowerMonkey, which the solar cells charge a battery (can't remember the size). That would ensure that your pandy doesn't get cooked... but it takes between 2 to 3 really sunny uk days to fully charge.... (ps uk we hardly get sun)

I haven't tested if it can power my pandy yet, I'll give it a go this weekend.
This works in the same fashion, the solar cells charge a battery that is behind the panels pictured on the backside of the case. This thing folds in half and zips together like a book. This is supposed to charge in 7 hours of sunlight. It was picking up a charge when the picture was taken with 3 power efficient light bulbs lighting the room.

Interested in hearing a report on your PowerMonkey.

This thing was almost a necessity today as part of my local grid was taken down today for a tsunami. My neck of the woods faired OK, but 1.5 hours drive north Crescent City was hit with some big waves as was one of my favorite surfing places Santa Cruz, 7 hours south of me.

Some good news on the front of anyone wanting Voltaic products in the next few weeks, they will be available at my shop for the grand opening.

Hope everyone else on the boards has been unaffected by the tsunami or quakes last night.

I have a solar power device for my DS. It works, however it needs almost 12 hours to fill up the battery. It takes just too long. I think I need to get bigger solar cells.

I will happily buy a couple of these when they're available in my area / over the 'net for a good price. I'm a full-on "gonna get all computing off the grid" kind of person, and I eagerly await the day I can take my compiler out into the wilderness and get a few decent green hack sessions done up some sunny mountain, somewhere, heh ..

Sorry for the late reply but I've been a bit ill.

I've tested my powermonkey explorer by fully charging it and then removing the battery from the pandy so only the external battery is powering it.

I then had the brightness on max, connected to wifi and I looped a divx video (720x480) using Gnome Mplayer. It lasted for about 3 hours 5 mins.

I want a solar panel so as soon as you guys know which one is The Awesomest, please inform me so I can buy it. Thanks! Also, if you have one in your shop, a direct link to purchase would be nice!

Back