GP2X Soft Keyboard For Gp2x...

techFreak

Website
Visit site
I'm developing a soft keyboard for GP2X character input. Because i think the most important limitation for Gp2X is lack of keyboard. Maybe this is not apparent at the moment but in the near future we will face it.

This is my first sw in c++ so i even don't know the basic functions. My code needs a lot of optimization. Would any of developers keen to work with me in this code? I think it will be usefull because you can enter text very fast believe me!!! :D

If anyone is interested please PM me.

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking forward to this.. It will definately be very useful for developing applications for the gp2x. Thanks very much for starting development.

Soft Keyboard V0.1 is available for developers. (Yes available for developers becuase i don't think it's fun to play with it for others. ;) ) It's far from complete but would give the idea to anyone. I couldn't manage to upload it to file archive but i can send it via mail. Just let me know your mail adds. B)

Could you use ASCII in your post to show what type of keyboard you're talking about? Is it just a selection one? or is it like that flash demo with 9 squares?

Anyone thought about doing a 'chording' type keyboard with the gp2x?

The joystick has 8 switches for 16 (or so) possible positions, plus the 4 main buttons and 6 auxillary ones.

Thats alot of buttons still.

You could have 8 /16 letters/characters with a joystick movement + button combonation.

IMHO A serial/usb Keyboard still can't be beat.

techFreak posted on Dec 26 2005 at 05:27 PM said:
Soft Keyboard V0.1 is available for developers. (Yes available for developers becuase i don't think it's fun to play with it for others.  ;) ) It's far from complete but would give the idea to anyone. I couldn't manage to upload it to file archive but i can send it via mail. Just let me know your mail adds.  B)

I'm curious to see what you've made.

My e-mail address is e (dot) a (dt) m (tod) huijbers (at) student [dot] tue (dot) nl (obfuscated for spam crawlers...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Series-8 posted on Dec 26 2005 at 01:12 PM said:
Anyone thought about doing a 'chording' type keyboard with the gp2x?

The joystick has 8 switches for 16 (or so) possible positions, plus the 4 main buttons and 6 auxillary ones.

Thats alot of buttons still.

You could have 8 /16 letters/characters with a joystick movement + button combonation.

IMHO A serial/usb Keyboard still can't be beat.

Sounds complicated.. Harder than the ipod input for ipod linux..

techFreak posted on Dec 27 2005 at 01:44 AM said:
I'm waiting for your comments. B)

Mmkay, there's no way to backspace and it hangs when I press start. The idea is quite good, but I would arrange the letters differently. Alphabetically is usually not the best way.

Then there's the possibility of grouping by frequency or grouping by similarity...

Hey Rixor,

Thanks for the comments.

Backspace is Left Shoulder Button.
Space is Right Shoulder Button.
Start do work but you need to start with a launcher script. ;)

Arranging letters, placing different characters, different lay out for various alphabets are possible.

Anyway thank you for downloading and trying it. :D

Back