So, Who Among Us Has Experience With The B.o.b.?

T

TelcoLou

My lovely Wife will be ordering me one soon from PlayAsia, and I just wanted to confirm a few things:

• From everthing I've read, all I need is an official GPH AC adapter to power the GP2X/BOB combo (MK I model, second 'version') .. right?
• Most USB Joypads work out of the box, yes? Same for USB Keyboards and HDs, yes?

I dread having to re-wire anything, but I'm comfortable enough to make my own dockng station;

Thanks again to ruckage for the link

... any personal stories of success would be most welcome :p

Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
you need two adaptors for mk1 gp2x, not sure about 2nd edition?

the majority of usb joypads should work fine, I have got a few strange input devices working no problem, but you may get problems if the software doesnt support configurable controls/buttons. for example one of my joypads is like a ps2 controller and the left analog stick is the d-pad although this is probably down to how the actual joypad is set up.

Ah thanks .. the manual was a little unclear, stating the '2X needed batteries or an AC adapter connected.

So it's one AC plugged into the '2X and one for the BOB, same type? (3V, 1amp, center negative)?

.. just want to be 100% sure, scared to fry it :ph34r:

And when you say "strange input devices" ... how strange? :lol: .. I have an idea for a stand-alone Tempest spinner for use in MAME :unsure:

yeah one adaptor for each, i know later gp2x models you can get away with just the gp2x powered so someone will need to confirm which models.

a couple of examples, i have used a DS as a joypad for the gp2x by using the MK-5 flashcart which has a USB lead and a PS2 Buzz controller.

:lol: Nice!!

Thanks again for clearing things up; our mini-mame cab is getting closer ;)

Is the only difference between the developer BoB is that it doesn't have a case, or what?

So..are you really going to turn it into a mame cabinet with this? Thats cool. What joypad will ya be using?

You can get away with just 300ma on the bob power adapter if you want. I managed to run a keyboard, mouse, and tvout at the same time off that. I've also used dreamcast and ps2 controllers through a usb adapter without any problems (with all buttons/sticks working as they should), and the gp32 works great as a controller too :).

woogal said:
You can get away with just 300ma on the bob power adapter if you want. I managed to run a keyboard, mouse, and tvout at the same time off that. I've also used dreamcast and ps2 controllers through a usb adapter without any problems (with all buttons/sticks working as they should), and the gp32 works great as a controller too :).
Is there some kind of app I can test keyboards, mouses and controllers hooked up to the BOB? And also, dosent the 360's controller have a usb plug-in? And lastly, how do I configure the buttons and stuff from diferent controllers to work with the gp2x?

Shifty said:
Is there some kind of app I can test keyboards, mouses and controllers hooked up to the BOB? And also, dosent the 360's controller have a usb plug-in? And lastly, how do I configure the buttons and stuff from diferent controllers to work with the gp2x?
Quake supports keyboard and mouse, and I had a build once that also supported controllers but that's probably broken now. Never tried any other software. As for configuring buttons, that all depends on the app you're using - usb controllers are second controllers and they don't override the first (the gp2x buttons), so it's all down to whether the app supports them at all, and if so how it lets you configure them.

ive tested out the bob without any external power for either the bob or the gp2x (mkII). granted it doesnt get more than about 45 minutes out of it but it means you can fiddle around with it without wires going everywhere...

Cool.

erm ... how about USB External HDs? My Wife just got me a nice Maxtor 60GB drive, and I was wondering if/how I can access stuff via the BOB ... and if so, is it as fast as SD access?

^ Maxtor is a horrible brand, I had two brand new HDDs break in less than one year.

Alex. said:
^ Maxtor is a horrible brand, I had two brand new HDDs break in less than one year.
You must have bad luck ... ALL our hard drives are Maxtor ... in fact, we only ever had one HD fail on us, and it was a Western Digital.

Alex. said:
Agreed.. I got 4 Maxtor hard drives in two years (1 new & 3 replacements) & finally changed to Western Digital for the last replacement.
Had no trouble at all with the Western Digital :)

:lol:

Ok, so Maxtor sucks ... has ANYONE used a USB hard-drive with this thing with any success?

TelcoLou said:
Ok, so Maxtor sucks ... has ANYONE used a USB hard-drive with this thing with any success?
Yep, had to power the HD seperatly but it worked.
Watched a film off the HD, you know, just to make sure :)
This was done using a home made BOB though, not tried with the developer version (would hope it would be as good if not better!)

Also I had to have my own script to mount the drive, the options in the extended menu didn't seem to see the drive, even though the dump out of the serial seemed to say it had found it!

(BTW, I don't mind Maxtor at all! :) )

Edit, you REALLY like that "Kid Chameleon" don't you? :)

BenScar said:
TelcoLou said:
Yep, had to power the HD seperatly but it worked.
Watched a film off the HD, you know, just to make sure :)
This was done using a home made BOB though, not tried with the developer version (would hope it would be as good if not better!)

Also I had to have my own script to mount the drive, the options in the extended menu didn't seem to see the drive, even though the dump out of the serial seemed to say it had found it!

(BTW, I don't mind Maxtor at all! :) )

Edit, you REALLY like that "Kid Chameleon" don't you? :)

Thank you THANK you, for your reply ... it really put my mind at ease!

I can't wait to get my BOB, and have a go at Kid Chameleon again, with a proper d-pad this time!! I will be victorious ... THIS I SWEAR!!! * RAWR * :lol:

Shifty said:
You got a D-Pad!? :eek:

You haven't beaten Kid Chameleon yet!? :eek:

omg :lol:
... I meant that once the BOB is up and running, I can use my USB joypad/D-Pad to play K.C.

BTW, how do emulators/games play from a USB HD? Is it as fast as using an SD card?
Can I say, store Gmenu2X and it's folders on an SD card, and have all my emus on the HD, and run them from there?

Back