So Ordered On First Day.. Now Still 2+ More Month?

Harakiri23

Still Fresh
Is this some kind of joke?

"Board production will now start in fullspeed, finished probably mid-October (Batch 1) "

So only in mid october the first batch of the board production is finshed? No assembling/shipping yet to the customer... which means you will not be even able
to finish BEFORE the 2 year (24 month) deadline for customers who ordered on the VERY FIRST DAY (i ordered on 30 sept 2008 22:00)...

Freaking joke

I dont even believe we will see it this year that everyone who ordered on the first day gets their pandora.

Harakiri23 said:
No assembling/shipping yet to the customer...
Around 900 people (me included) says otherwise, and almost everyone of them are very happy with it (me included as well, even after sending it for repairs).
All first 1000 shipped nags are squashed already and will probably go MUCH MUCH faster now, but feel free to be a non believer.

Also, as kuru said, these are no longer the official boards. Craig doesn't even come here, but don't let that stop you from venting, everyone are quite used to the ranting, venting and (sadly) the drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pst, don't tell him that other people already have theirs, he will go mad, mad! What will happen if he finds all those user videos on the youtubes? Utter chaos!

@TS Dude if you can't wait any longer get an n900 or a PSP or whatever makes you happy. n900 does a very good job for me atm.

*starts singing*

I'm not sure if there's a point to this story
But I'm going to tell it again
So many other people try to tell the tale
Not one of them knows the end

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqp12b61pFo[/youtube]
Edit: tags

I ordered in February thinking it would be here in July or August. You have every right to be angry, and had I put my money in 2 years ago, I would be pissed too. (Not happy with the wait, but there's nothing else like the Pandora, and complaining won't get it here any faster.)

Well, as your not one of us (those who are content to wait, nor the luckier group who already have their Pandora) you could always nab a refund and buy yourself a different device such as the others suggested.

Or you could content yourself knowing it's coming this year and that it's been easy along the way to get a great idea of where you are in the wait and about as much information as could be made available int terms of a remaining wait. Personally, while I haven't managed to work out the kinks (small things that come from not being familiar with Linux) I've found rather quickly that all those little things that irk me about the PSP for media are handily resolved already on my Pandora with software that's often still listed as beta.

I can't honestly see it not being worth the wait after being this patient. It's a unique device, and as your later then me you won't end up with the disappointment of two dead nubs on arrival, all the major hardware and most of the main software will be refined by the time yours arrives.

whatever man, at least you didn't get yours only to have a nub break after a month of light use, now I can't really even use it cuz the mouse is always movin all over. I'm not sendin mine back until the new nubs arrive, and honestly I was pretty disappointed to begin with. I'm pondering selling it if I ever get it back fixed, I need a car & I'm honestly getting pretty sick of the atmosphere surrounding the whole project.

Alerino said:
Consequence, have you already tried changing nub mode to avoid that annoying behaviour?
naw, but the only thing I actually wanted to play involved the nubs & I don't have much use for it otherwise since I've already got a netbook & a smartphone, thanks tho

Consequence_9 said:
naw, but the only thing I actually wanted to play involved the nubs & I don't have much use for it otherwise since I've already got a netbook & a smartphone, thanks tho

I can't believe a nub dying is somehow worse then both nubs dead on arrival. My main interests for the device required nubs, so I went ahead and bit the bullet and sent mine in. Took a freaking month to get it back, but, having it again I'm pretty pleased with it. Sure, the left nub isn't perfect (among other minor things, screen bezel issue...) but the device does very well for what I was looking for and well enough to replace my PSP as a portable media player as well.

But at least your willing to wait until an acceptable solution comes along. Unlike those with particularly bad attitudes that came on here having issues with having waited so lone.

Korlithiel said:
Consequence_9 said:

I can't believe a nub dying is somehow worse then both nubs dead on arrival. My main interests for the device required nubs, so I went ahead and bit the bullet and sent mine in. Took a freaking month to get it back, but, having it again I'm pretty pleased with it. Sure, the left nub isn't perfect (among other minor things, screen bezel issue...) but the device does very well for what I was looking for and well enough to replace my PSP as a portable media player as well.

But at least your willing to wait until an acceptable solution comes along. Unlike those with particularly bad attitudes that came on here having issues with having waited so lone.

Yeah waiting almost two years is no reason to have an attitude man some people are so anal about the small things.... :blink:

Korlithiel said:

my b, i was responding to the OP with my tale, shoulda made that clearer. that does suck pretty equally & yah I agree with your sentiments.

Restless said:
Yeah waiting almost two years is no reason to have an attitude man some people are so anal about the small things.... :blink:
I guess the lack of sympathy steams from the fact that we all had to wait pretty much just as long. and in my & many other's we had to wait this long AND receive a shoddy product AND pay extra to send the damn thing back AND have to wait months for it AGAIN. At least when you do eventually receive yours it MIGHT actually be usable or last more than a goddamn month.

and I'm sorry if I come off as scathing, I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just upset with the whole pandora situation.

honestly, i'd like to see some updated statistics on RMAs now that we're a month or two into delieveries. I have a hunch that the reason production is so slow is because they are spending a good deal of their time/spare parts on returned units. On top of that I keep seeing horror-stories where people have returned them multiple times (I think a couple of people are on their third unit?). I think they're in a lot deeper shit than they're letting on. And meanwhile craig is fucking about with all this forum business & the icontrolpad instead of focusing on the pandora's issues. It's kind of insulting in a way.

Consequence_9 said:
honestly, i'd like to see some updated statistics on RMAs now that we're a month or two into delieveries. I have a hunch that the reason production is so slow is because they are spending a good deal of their time/spare parts on returned units. On top of that I keep seeing horror-stories where people have returned them multiple times (I think a couple of people are on their third unit?). I think they're in a lot deeper shit than they're letting on. And meanwhile craig is fucking about with all this forum business & the icontrolpad instead of focusing on the pandora's issues. It's kind of insulting in a way.
What do you think OPT should be doing, then? The biggest issue by far appears to be nub problems (and LCD cable issues among the first 200 or so, but that's already been sorted out), and the nub factory is right now producing a new batch of nubs that won't have the reported issues. I don't see what anyone can do until that's finished.

Tom` said:
Consequence_9 said:
What do you think OPT should be doing, then? The biggest issue by far appears to be nub problems (and LCD cable issues among the first 200 or so, but that's already been sorted out), and the nub factory is right now producing a new batch of nubs that won't have the reported issues. I don't see what anyone can do until that's finished.
It's less about what they should be doing now & more about what they shouldn't be doing and what should have done already. They shouldn't be working on the icontrolpad while there are still glaring issues with the pandora. They shouldn't be getting into forum spats & alienating their user-base in the process. They shouldn't be taking pre-orders for batch 2 when they can hardly get batch one out the door (like the OP said, he ordered the first day & doesn't have his). They should be focusing more on improving the app-store & stopping fragmentation (instead of contributing to it). They should have done much more intensive testing on the nubs so they would have known they break after a month of light use. They should be reimbursing for shipping on nub-related RMAs since it's not the end-user's problem.

Consequence_9 said:
They should have done much more intensive testing on the nubs so they would have known they break after a month of light use.
How much testing is enough though? They twiddle the nubs, they work fine, they're good. Not good enough because some fail after a few weeks? So they simulate several weeks of play for every single one? How exactly would they do that? And what if they had started failing after a couple months? Would you advocate testing every single one with months of simulated tests? While they're at it, they'll need a few weeks of simulation on every key, and on every lid to ensure the LCD cable doesn't break and the hinge doesn't wear out.
Quite simply, I don't think more testing would have been the answer. Any reasonable testing would not have found any of the major problems they're seeing, and major testing would have pushed back shipping by several weeks if not months at least while they tested features which, for the most part, are fine.

WizardStan said:
Any reasonable testing would not have found any of the major problems they're seeing, and major testing would have pushed back shipping by several weeks if not months at least while they tested features which, for the most part, are fine.
Exactly. We mustn't forget that even the faulty nubs underwent standard testing when manufactured (there's no chance that this wasn't the case - the nubs are made by a very big company which, I gather, has a great reputation). After the problem was discovered, they increased this to something which I would imagine most companies would find unreasonable.

I say this as one of those people who, unfortunately, was unlucky twice. Even though there were bad nubs out there, the chances of this happening twice to one person were ridiculously low (the team has stated that fifty units were returned in total, and not all of those even had the nub problem), so I certainly wouldn't think it's sensible to take it as some sort of horror story. My new (well, not so new, now, since it's now a month old) Pandora has the nubs that underwent further testing, and knock-on-wood it is absolutely fine. It's outlasted the first two by at least a week or two at this point, and it seems to be holding in that state.

Also, while I'm here, I'm guessing, given your (Consequence_9, not WizardStan :p) mention of the iControlPad, that you didn't see the recent thread regarding that. You may be interested to hear that they were actually cannibalising nubs from iControlPads to help Pandoras. If anything, it is the Pandora that has held up the other product. You may want to read the thread for further information on this. The relevant information is in the first page or two.

Back