So I Just Got A Gp32...

DistantJ

Still Fresh
My GP32 doesn't seem to want to work. It plays the games that came with it, but when I try to connect it to my PC (all drivers installed) with either link program, it just doesn't connect. The one program just keeps telling me to go into PC Link mode even when it already is, the other program says "there was an error in the GP32". When I try to use my SMC reader/writer, I write all my files to it and it just says no SMC! I've tried rebooting a number of times. Nothing seems to work. This is just typical!

Make shure that the GP32 is off when you connect it to the PC. After you've connected it then turn it on and hit the "PC LINK" option. It should give you a "waiting" message until you open up you Gp Manager. From then on it should be smooth sailing. If not, mabye it's the SMC card that's bad as pointed out above. Good luck, H.G.

I'm getting the same problem, using one of the (erased) game cards that came with it. I'm gonna ask a little about this in a seperate topic though.

yesterday i also got my new gp32 and i'm just impressed! can't say more by now. its just the best piece of hardware i ever bought, say in the last 2-3 years. i erased one of the 5 smcs to try some homebrew, emulators and ports and every single file i installed worked right from the beginning. i've never had any system which was as easy to noobs right from the beginning as this unit. the only problem i had was (and now i'm finally back on topic ;)) that i didn't plug the usb cable deep enough into the connector so i didn't get a connection to the pc at first. i've got exactly the same message! so perhaps you should check if the cable is really plugged-in deep enough

Thanks for the help, but others have guessed at this problem so I really held that fucker into my USB port. Nothing. But then I read I have to download certain drivers, etc...

I just wanted to connect the damn thing.

But it seems like I'm having better luck with putting stuff on the cards now, so I'll stick with that until I can't for some reason.

Thanks anyway. You must've bought yours from the same ebay liquidation as me.

DistantJ posted on Oct 11 2005 at 09:18 AM said:
My GP32 doesn't seem to want to work. It plays the games that came with it, but when I try to connect it to my PC (all drivers installed) with either link program, it just doesn't connect. The one program just keeps telling me to go into PC Link mode even when it already is, the other program says "there was an error in the GP32". When I try to use my SMC reader/writer, I write all my files to it and it just says no SMC! I've tried rebooting a number of times. Nothing seems to work. This is just typical!
What firmware do you have on it? How does it look and sound when you start the GP?
With the original NLU/FLU Firmware, you have to have a freelauncher to run free programs that you've put on the SMC. If you do not have this one on the SMC, it will say "No game on card or no SMC".
In the linking programs, connect the GP AFTER the dialog box saying "connect to GP32" appears. The linking programs are both very buggy, so be patient and flash your GP with SlubmanFW when you manage to fix it.
Also, be sure to check that the SMC is NOT formatted in FAT32!

Last edited by a moderator:
Flashing firmware is not needed. If you do, be aware that if the flash fails your GP32 wil be *DEAD*. You can not use it again unless you get a special JTAG cable and special software to revive it.

I don't reccommend flashing unless you can't live with the one that it came with. Some firmwares are also not compatible with commercial games either.

Use a reader when possible, just DO NOT format through windows. Create folders and add files like you normally would on a computer.

concerning the usb driver you need to install, its also on the original driver cd ... no need to download anything ...

Back