So, Anyone Taken To The New Google Talk?

A

Aaaaaaaa

or G-talk as i like to say?

has anybody discovered nething about it?

_italics_ brings up italics

*bold* brings up Bold

adding wumpus.game creates an irc game

havnt yet discovered how to do underlines text.

But its rly good and less processor heavy than msn

The voice-chat rox ur sox

i didnt say msn was porocessor heavy.

Gtalk is just less so.

I love it. I might as well post my address: richardjharris @gmail. Quickly, add me before you read the following post and decide I'm a snob, asshole and/or Google fanboy :)

Reversals of MSN's terrible mistakes:
- No stupidly long and annoying nicknames
- No stupid emoticons, colours, backgrounds or fonts
- No search bar, large icons, advertisements, tabs or toolbars
- No nudges, winks, custom picture ads, or custom pictures!

Cool features:
- Only shows your name ONCE if you send a bunch of messages (why doesn't MSN do this?)
- Renameable contacts
- Good-quality voice conferencing (so I don't have to run two seperate apps)
- Gmail notifier :)
- Custom status messages!
- Auto resizing message box
- Clean interface

Cons:
- Useless search bar
- Restricts to only @gmail.com accounts (not good form)
- No file sending
- Barren interface

...but it's beta. I can't wait to see what they add in the later versions. I also can't believe that Google continue to excel in almost every product they make (exceptions: their search engine results)

I get a real feeling that this client is designed for me. While MSN continues to add useless features to appeal to chavs, and milk money out of adverts, GTalk is simple and functional. It doesn't innovate, but it offers a very lightweight package that contains everything I need without the plugins or bloat of other clients. I just hope people start jumping onto the service (they don't even need to sign up if they have gmail)

To be honest Gtalk (hate that name) is far too simple right now for my tastes. Granted, MSN is waaaaay too bloated, but there are a few features I really miss. I'll likely check it out sometime later, but for now Trillian does me fine.

Though I like G-talk, it's far too barren, luckily though joey pubic the filthy chavster can't get a gmail account :)

Goity posted on Aug 27 2005 at 01:58 AM said:
Though I like G-talk, it's far too barren, luckily though joey pubic the filthy chavster can't get a gmail account :)

Except they can, I accidental gave someone a gmail account, and now they try and give accounts to everyone (including those people who don't want it), so now I'm not one of the few people with a Gmail account.

(I don't really mind Gmail being widespread, it's the best service out there.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico posted on Aug 26 2005 at 11:15 PM said:
I love it. I might as well post my address: richardjharris @gmail. Quickly, add me before you read the following post and decide I'm a snob, asshole and/or Google fanboy :)

Reversals of MSN's terrible mistakes:
- No stupidly long and annoying nicknames
- No stupid emoticons, colours, backgrounds or fonts
- No search bar, large icons, advertisements, tabs or toolbars
- No nudges, winks, custom picture ads, or custom pictures!

Cool features:
- Only shows your name ONCE if you send a bunch of messages (why doesn't MSN do this?)
- Renameable contacts
- Good-quality voice conferencing (so I don't have to run two seperate apps)
- Gmail notifier :)
- Custom status messages!
- Auto resizing message box
- Clean interface

Cons:
- Useless search bar
- Restricts to only @gmail.com accounts (not good form)
- No file sending
- Barren interface

...but it's beta. I can't wait to see what they add in the later versions. I also can't believe that Google continue to excel in almost every product they make (exceptions: their search engine results)

I get a real feeling that this client is designed for me. While MSN continues to add useless features to appeal to chavs, and milk money out of adverts, GTalk is simple and functional. It doesn't innovate, but it offers a very lightweight package that contains everything I need without the plugins or bloat of other clients. I just hope people start jumping onto the service (they don't even need to sign up if they have gmail)

I like Adium on the Mac. looks gorgeous, does that grouping thing you were on about (i.e. name once for lots of messages) and works like a dream (even including file transfers, which many other third party clients refuse to).

Wonderful :p

adiumshot.jpg

Attachments

• adiumshot.jpg
    adiumshot.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 88
Hanz™ posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
Thats looks gorgeous. I hate you Mac users, I hate you all!

It's all so lovely and pretty and nice.

But then its OS X. And it's all like that :)

Come on MS - PAY ATTENTION :p

Back