So... Anyone Remember The Pandora From Sinclair?

'sabregolly' said:
Love it... "we bought it to help with your homework and the household accounts if dad ever sorts it out." So true.. :D

Despite the recent lack of harmony on this forum (delay based frustration) the launch of the Pandora is no less exciting than a new Sinclair and at least you don't need to beg mum and dad to pay for it. Well, not for those of us who remember computers with 16k memory. :p

There is definitely a parallel to the 'sharing peeks and pokes', passing friends your basic written games and tape copying in the open source development of the Pandora, homebrew and emulation of 'open' handhelds that don't find anywhere else....

If I remember correctly, the Sir Clive was also generally somewhat behind schedule on the delivery of new computers.

However, the real question is how long will I need to wait to play Chuckie Egg on the Pandora ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I did read about the fact the Z88 was originally called the Pandora about 1 year back, but I'd never seen a picture until now - that's almost creepy, but I assume it was intended to be larger than the Pandora we know.

It is pretty interesting that something like this almost happed 20+ years ago.

I'll have to send one to Sir Clive.

Wow, that is spooky. :eek: Bit of a shame that (as far as I can see) the dimensions aren't recorded anywhere - those would be interesting to see. I suppose one could attempt to estimate them using the measurement of the screen on the pocket TV they made using the same screen technology, though, since they said the Sinclair Pandora's screen was meant to be four times the size of that...

'andyB911' said:
However, the real question is how long will I need to wait to play Chuckie Egg on the Pandora ???
You'd mean you'd want to let this thing near your Pandora? Voluntarily?!

Chuckie_Egg_II.png

(Yeah yeah, I know it's the sequel, but it's what I think of whenever I hear the name. A well-meaning relative bought me the C64 version of this when I was a kid, thinking it was related to the Dizzy games, and it always gave me nightmares. :lol: )

You could probably get a fair estimate of the size from the keyboard, or from:

CODE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086@N02/845603533/in/set-72157600856913881/

Z88 COMPUTER
IT MEASURES LESS THAN AN A4 PAD.
IT WEIGHS LESS THAN 2lb.
IT COSTS JUST £199.95
PLUS VAT

Sorry - I don't believe that Chuckie Egg II is actually a direct sequel to Chuckie Egg. By a different author, it's more an attempt to capitalise on Chuckie Eggs' (almost unfathomable) success (yes, I'm a fan - but don't ask me why!).

The original author DID intend a sequel to Chuckie Egg, and it was called "Chuckie Apple", but was never completed.

In terms of gameplay/addicitveness, personally I tended to feel that Qwak (from a different author AND software house) was the natural successor, and had the added benefit of being technically superior.

Until the Amiga and PC versions blew the original Qwak away, that is - now it's even better and might even be ported to the Pandora. So personally, I'd love to see a Chuckie Egg port but playing it on a BBC emulator will suffice :)

My only worry is could we see some legal trouble from Sinclair Research over the name "Pandora". Since the the OP Pandora and Sinclair Pandora both look almost the same and share some of the same intended functions.

You guys thought on my worry?

(Also that Sinclair Pandora is slick looking!)

The Sinclair Pandora wasn't even released, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Shiny. Just got a 128k Spectrum +2 today, like I used to have way back when. Brother threw the original out of a window when the transformer passed on. Git.

I wonder if the games are still in the loft... :D

Even though I had a c64 back in the day, I was hoping the Pandora would have the little rainbow of colours down the bottom right ala the original speccy. Mmmm wonder if I could source this from somewhere?

'Prometheus' said:
Wow, that is spooky. :eek: Bit of a shame that (as far as I can see) the dimensions aren't recorded anywhere - those would be interesting to see. I suppose one could attempt to estimate them using the measurement of the screen on the pocket TV they made using the same screen technology, though, since they said the Sinclair Pandora's screen was meant to be four times the size of that...
The keyboard in the pictures is the same as the Spectrum+/QL, so you could use those as a yardstick.

D.

Thanks for that, Dunny. I've never owned any Sinclair hardware, so I'll have to look that up. :lol:

'Monk' said:
it's more an attempt to capitalise on Chuckie Eggs' (almost unfathomable) success (yes, I'm a fan - but don't ask me why!).
My theory for it's popularity has always been that it was because it was one of the first Spectrum platformers that allowed you to go 'up' ladders without having to fumble about at the 'correct' spot at the bottom first. You could jump onto ladders, go up them as you passed, or grab onto them as you fell or leapt from a height. It opened up a whole new way (on the Speccy at least) of dodging enemies.

Back