Snes Emus

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
I was just wondering what the consesus was on SNES ... what's the best EMU?
I'm running Squidgesnes 0.37a currently, and Super Mario All Stars works great .. but other games are real slow.

I also found the Reesy Hack versions, but they don't seem to work for me...I just get a blank screen (i think they are just the executing files in the ZIP? no skins?)

Is there one verison of the EMU that is above and beyond the rest?

Seems to me that currently, Squidesnes is the best bet for SNES emulation. Not all games are slow. Most earlier games or those made by Nintendo run rather nicely (Your Marios, your Punchouts).

This would be the one to keep your eye on for updates.

shinneri posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
I love the new NK emulator SNES2X because it runs a few more games (Tales of Phantasia!) and has transparency.

The menu needs a lot of work though.

Do you know what version of snes9x it uses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:18 PM said:
You need to watch out for SquidgeSNES-SE :D

(If I ever finish it, that is...)

Cool, I thought you might have been done with it since other people were hacking it.
(are you asm'ing it?)

Squidge posted on Aug 15 2006 at 12:18 PM said:

Thats the next release of Ssnes? if it is Im glad to hear your still working on it :) Eventhough its a great emu, speed is the only thing lacking from it :( (transperencies aside) Good luck with that release :)

Squidge posted on Aug 15 2006 at 12:18 PM said:

Can we expect the kinda frame rates /w sound that DrMDx offers. What kinda of compatibility would we be looking at in the SE version.

Would $$$ help get SE out faster/better and if so how much $$$ would you like to see per donation? Some thing reasonable not just how much you would like to have ;)

The compatibility will start of being very poor, but will gradually get better. Speedwise, I don't think it'll ever be as quick as DrMD simply because the graphics are much more complicated, but at higher clock speeds than DrMd it may be able to match it in frame rates in time.

I'd say hold off on the donations until you see something you like. There will be plenty of tech demos and the like to wet your appetite :)

I really love squidgesnes_0.37, but I found some bugs:
-playing earthbound, the z order of the sprites is a bit messed up
-Star Ocean (English Translation) just crashes..

cheers and keep up the excellent work

Squidge posted on Aug 16 2006 at 08:17 PM said:
The compatibility will start of being very poor, but will gradually get better. Speedwise, I don't think it'll ever be as quick as DrMD simply because the graphics are much more complicated, but at higher clock speeds than DrMd it may be able to match it in frame rates in time.

I'd say hold off on the donations until you see something you like. There will be plenty of tech demos and the like to wet your appetite :)
What you mean is, the Snes hardware is an ugly bint which is undocumented and a beyotch to emulate.

Goity posted on Sep 2 2006 at 09:44 AM said:
Squidge posted on Aug 16 2006 at 08:17 PM said:

What you mean is, the Snes hardware is an ugly bint which is undocumented and a beyotch to emulate.

I think that's what he means...

Back