Snes Emu Progress

Mr Fixit

Still Fresh
I was just wondering how advanced the Snes emulators are on the gp32. How fast does it run, is sound up etc,etc.
I have read some of the snes emu faqs that r around, but I would like to know from people that actually use it to play games.

Thx
Mr Fixit B)

--I would kill to play Secret of Mana 2, Luffia 2 or Ogre Battle on a handheld.

I play desert strike with my snes emu and it runs perfect with only a 3 frame skip. I tried mortal combat and although it plays it is to slow to actually play. Once the emus are optimised it should be fine.

I use snes9x, which is slow but has sound and sram save support. At frameskip 3 or 4 and sound disabled ff4 runs fine, but the more graphics intensive RPGS (secret of mana 2, bahamut lagoon, chronotrigger, ff6, etc) all run too slow. Snes9x is still being developed though, so with luck its only a matter of time before som2 is playable :). I havent really used the other snes emu, because it doesnt have save support. Oh yeah, for some reason Lufia 2 runs REALLY well on snes9x, seems almost full speed (only game like that ive seen so far) although i havent played all that far yet. Ogre battle i havent tried, but since its turn based (?) speed and/or high frameskip shouldnt be an issue.

There's a few more games that run ludicrously fast... but they're few and far between (and I can't list them coz I can't remember the game names).
Lufia 2 is really the only RPG that's playable with sound though (so far) - and even then, its a lot smoother without.

I downloaded Super Punch Out the other day for Snex9 and it worked really well, no sound I think - But it ran at full speed as far as I could tell. Such a good game to begin with. :D

If you want an answer to most games, SNES emulation sucks. But some (as everyone else said) do work well. I got my GP32 only for SNES, was dissapointed, but then when I tried other games/emus, it rocks!

Back