Smc Problem

drocon

Still Fresh
hey all,

sorry for not conducting a more extensive search to find my answer, but i'm a complete newbie to the gp32. i just receieved my FLU in the mail today, and while i was messing around with it, i found that my gp32 could load off of the smc, and show me all the stuff already installed or whatnot (several freeware games, dungeons and guarder, DrMD, whatnot), however, *none* of them would load, when i try to open any of them, the screen would start flickering, and then the gp32 would just die, or reset itself.

So now i tried to connect my gp32 to my pc, and use the gp manager and see the smc (maybe do something to fix it), however, when i run pc-link, it says "SMC error - press b to cancel and select to fix" - whatnot, and i hit select, then it says "(0) errors corrected - please reset.", and the same thing happens when i do reset it.

my suspicion is that the SMC is broken (it's a 128mb), but how can the GP read off of it? is there anyway to format the smc? - i don't own a card reader, and i wouldn't want to spend more money on it if the smc's broken after all. has anybody had this problem before?

i was searching and read that you could format the smc on the gp32 itself with like slubman's firmware or whatnot, but since the smc is broken, i'm not sure how i could get it on there or whatnot.

if anybody has any experience with this kind of problem, thanks in advance!

...the screen would start flickering, and then the gp32 would just die, or reset itself.
That just sounds like low batteries. Nothing to worry about. When you're very low on power you will often find that you can run some apps (in your case just the launcher), but others clock the cpu higher and will fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahHA!

yes you're right! i tested one of the batteries with my multimeter, and it spit back 0.90 volts. they were new too! defective batteries :(

thanks for the help everybody!

[edit]

hmm, the SMC error problem still persists, does that mean maybe the cable is defective? or something's wrong with my gp32? should i perhaps buy a SMC card reader? (since i now know that my gp32 can READ the smc just fine). thanks!

Uh, noone here is messing around with that stupid GPmanager. We either have Cardreaders or are using GPdrive. Since you can´t install GPdrive in your current situation, better get a cardreader.

Is it me or are all the batteries that GP supply pants...
They could save us alot of time by splashing out a little

re: SMC ... i understand there are only two manufacturers: sandisk and samsung. is there any opinion if one is better than the other?

i hope this isn't too newb of a question, i searched the forums forthe manufacturer names and didn't see any VS. topics :p

gp32_console blu on it's way :ph34r:

i hope this isn't too newb of a question, i searched the forums forthe manufacturer names and didn't see any VS. topics :p

That could be, because there a only 2 or 3 companys who do produce
new SmartMedia-Cards.

All other companys do only put their label on it and sell it for a higher price.

A SMC with Samsung-Brand-Flashchips should be fine.

Bye
Guido.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Samsung and Panasonic produces all the SMCs and sells the 'defect' ones to other companies (low-price), but of course also the good ones (Viking, etc)...
I also recommend you to buy a pack of rechargable batteries (2400mAh) and a charger; as the GP32 is quite a battery eater...

Back