Smc Format Issue-not Accessable After Win32 Format

steven84

Still Fresh
hi people it seems when you format your smc by windows xp it cant be seen/read by the GP no matter if you use FAT16 or FAT32 (not sure what the right one is) some people have to format there smc by the firmware installed or using the pc link

well tonight i get into a situation when i had formatted my smc using xp then finding out that gp cant read it then when trying to use pc link to try a usb based format i cant get it to connect i get errors like "timed out" or some other annoying error message- basicly there was no way i could get it to format , it was suggested by ppl in irc that the smc switch had busted inside the gp it wasent the case..

Solution: Format your card in Win2k or Win98 perhaps
i dont know what winxp does to the FAT partition but it must be dodgy..

i dont think the deafult firmware has any format tool if it has its well hidden- cant upgrade firmware eather as its a faulty gp32 ( gp32+ screen bars etc)-no recompiles of firmware have been made yet that i know of...

anyways thats the end of my annoying post maybe i should of put it in the F&Q i dont know -(sorry if this issue has allready been addressed allso)

Steve gp32_console

You could also run slubmans commander (the non-firmware version of his software). Just copy it to a working smc and run it. Take out the working smc and replace it with the non-working smc. Select "format" at the bottom of slubmans main screen and your good to go.

Trooper

I need to fix that problem!!!!!

I DONT HAVE ANOTHER SMC, I DONT HAVE ANOTHER PC.
:( And I don't have a card reader.

Blah posted on Dec 27 2004 at 05:03 AM said:
I need to fix that problem!!!!!

I DONT HAVE ANOTHER SMC, I DONT HAVE ANOTHER PC.
:( And I don't have a card reader.

You only have ONE smc. :blink:

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
On my FLU, if I go into PC-Link with the USB not attached, I get an option to recover my SMC. Have you tried that?

Hi

I too had this problem, and don't have win2k around to format my SMC, so I took a DD image of a freshly formatted 128 card... so if I need to reformat and only have my card reader I can just re DD the image back onto it.

Here is a package inc a 128 SMC image, DD binary quick script and a readme...

smcrecover.zip

I have to format my SMC in my digital camera. Oonly way I've found to get the GP32 to regonise that card.

Wow, I would like to get an Euro for every smc formatting thread that is opened on this board. My student life would be much better.

Ever heard of a thingie called "search function"? Nearly every board has one, so just search for your problem, you should find enough threads dealing with your problem.

Hi everybody,

I had a similar problem by formatting my smc with a card reader.
-Just wanted to thank ratx for his helpful arrangement!

everything works geat now. :D

Here's a solution if you have a card reader:

Don't format your SMC's. EVER.

Seriously, I just got 2 new cards (from bananapc.com) and all I did was create the appropriate folders on the card:

GAME
GPETC
GPMM
GPSYS
MOVIE
MP3

ratx posted on Dec 27 2004 at 07:32 AM said:
Hi

I too had this problem, and don't have win2k around to format my SMC, so I took a DD image of a freshly formatted 128 card... so if I need to reformat and only have my card reader I can just re DD the image back onto it.

smcrecover.zip

seriously - just use this!!

ratx little prog does the job!!

space :D

ratx posted on Dec 27 2004 at 08:32 AM said:
Hi

smcrecover.zip

What exactly does that do, and what`s DD?

The dd command in UNIX and its ported variants for windows can be used to do direct dumps from one device (or file) to another. smcrecover.zip includes a 128 SMC "image" dd.exe and a script to copy it from a file on your disc to the SMC itself.

Back