Smc Assistance

Ed W

Still Fresh
Hi All

I've got 2 SMC's for my GP32 - both of which seem to be "corrupted" and won't work with the unit (no SMC read is the usual message). I've tried recovering them - which worked briefly on one - but I can't read either.

I've since managed to get hold of card reader. One card seems to be gone completely (the card reader won't recognise it).

It reads the other one. I've formatted it as FAT32, put on the GP32 folders (GPMM, MOVIE etc. - each in capitals) - then put an emulator in the GPMM folder. It STILL won't read the card. I'm using Windows 2000. I'm at the end of my tether - does that mean the card has completely gone and I need to get a new one? Or does Windows 2000 not work? Or should I be doing something different?

Any help would be good - if they're both gone, I'll then have to buy another card.....

Cheers

Ed

I hate Smart Media Cards. Each time when I pull the card out of my GP32 I get the impression that I am in the process of wrecking the card. Maybe this is because I already destroyed one with my obsessive swapping between card reader and GP32. SMC is the biggest mistake in the GP32 architecture I reckon.

SMC is the biggest mistake in the GP32 architecture I reckon.

I think time has proved that correct ;). 128MB cap. limit, no controller on the card and flimsy build. GamePark would have been better off sticking with the compact flash the early development units had :). But hindsight is 20/20 as they say ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP32 does NOT support FAT32 so just make sure your SMC's are FAT12/16 formatted and try again (then report back).

When I go to format my SMC, I just get offered: FAT, FAT32 and NTFS - it doesn't offer FAT12/16. Could it be just FAT?

The GP32 does NOT support FAT32 so just make sure your SMC's are FAT12/16 formatted and try again (then report back).

When I go to format my SMC, I just get offered: FAT, FAT32 and NTFS - it doesn't offer FAT12/16. Could it be just FAT?

Sorry, yes, FAT IS FAT12/16 (it's all to do with the size of the device you are formating but lets not go there).

Still doesn't work. I've formatted it to "FAT", then manually entered the following folders; GAME, GPMM, GPSYS, GPTEC, MOVIE, MP3.

I then stuck in an emulator into GPMM (C64 FRODO which worked before the SMC became corrupted).

But when I try and put the SMC back in the GP32, it still can't read it? Is there something I've not done?

Normally formatting of the SMC should work in windows 2000 but for unknown reasons it doesn't for some people. mkdosfs.exe will work with any version of windows though so yes no harm in trying it etc...

Normally formatting of the SMC should work in windows 2000 but for unknown reasons it doesn't for some people. mkdosfs.exe will work with any version of windows though so yes no harm in trying it etc...

Thanks - It didn't work though unfortunately. Worth a try though!

Back