Smart Q7

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

There's a new UMPC around, it's the Smart Devices Q7. Some might remember the Q5, which was a dirt cheap ubuntu MID. Well, this is just the same, except that it's a 7" tablet! I'm trying to decide on this and a Cool-Er reader, both cost about the same (the price I was quoted was 230$ with postage from china, but I'd have to pay import taxes). It's been discussed over at mobileread.com, for it's ebook reading qualities, and I have to say it's pretty much what I want for books and comics. And 230$ really isn't a half bad price for something like this.

It's a Samsung ARM at 677Mhz, which should give it enough oomph to play video, reading doesn't really require anything. Only 128Mib memory, but I can live with that. The batterylife is a good 9h.

unboxing pics and info
UMPCportal coverage

Looks like a great device! However, my eyes still are very good, so I mostly care about resolution when reading comics and watching movies, thus this does not offer a significant advantage over the Pandora to me.

Yeah, my eyesight is bad (and I need new glasses), so the extra screen space and the capability to bring it close to my eyes are features that I need for reading. I still can't really decide between this and the cool-er reader that's coming out. I think I'll first give the Q7 a go and if I can't read on it, spend the money on a e-ink reader like the cool-er. That market is moving so fast in any case, that 9"'ers might come out or the prices might generally drop.

There has been some talk about a maemo/mer port to the Q7 and I think I'd much rather use that then the built in linux. Then again, I might just run it with vnc for reading from the desktop machine.

Back