Skype4Pidgin

frostfall

Hi,

Every night I'm using my pandora to connect to skype and chat with my friends.

To do this I use a free instant messenger on android, because there's not seems to have any option on angstrom, nor pandebian...I'm not happy with this situation because I don't like android very much and it force me to use other android programs like the browser that I don't like at all....(I don't like much firefox for android also, because I can't zoom and I must use the pencil very often).

So I've searched for a solution, and found a plugin for pidgin : skype4pidgin here : http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/

It's open source, and there is an arm version. I tried to compile the plugin myself, but failed because I'm not too good about cross compilation and don't understand where I can download the dependencies, like glib and where to put them in the file system...

Anyway...

- Anyone tried this plugin on a classic PC? Is it working good? I'm only searching to chat with friends, no more.

- Anyone would be kind enough to compile the plugin for the pandora if it's possible?

That would be very cool!! :)

Hi,

The plugin requires skpe to be running - which, unlike Android, we don't have (and can't have, 'cos it's not open-source).

Sorry about that.

Oh...yeah it's true, I misread that :( . It's however totally surreal to have a plugin for pidgin that require skype to run :') . Totally useless!

On android I don't use the real skype software, because it does not work on my pandora. I'm using a software called "imo"....Skype deliver a SDK called skypekit, information here : https://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit/...I was thinking that this plugin used this SDK...So skype is not free software, nor open source, but there is a SDK to interface it so it seems "feasable" on the paper...

I guess that if there is currently no plugin for skype on linux is because programmers prefers to work on open source software than on a closed SDK owned by microsoft...But my skype contact don't cares about that, so I'm stuck with android for now. :)

Thank you for your answer anyway!! :)

I was curious about this "skypekit" so I signed up to find out about it. The signup page says they'll send me an email "when they're ready". I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it just depends on Skyhost, Coldbird got that running awhile ago... too lazy to look up the thread because even if it did I am sure it still would have stumbling blocks, the N900 libs for one IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back