Simple Voice Recorder

Yod4z

On Pandora we have a mic but it not used on lot's of software. Audacity is not a simple/light software and when you need something to quick launch and start recording.

something like FLRec would be great.

if someone want to work on it

I kept thinking that there wasn't a MIC by the time it had been released. You say it works with Audacity? Time to go hunt that pnd down, though FLRec does sound like a good starter point.

Yod4z said:
On Pandora we have a mic but it not used on lot's of software.
Is there actualy ANY Software (Games) that make good usage of the Mic? "Pandora Panic" would be a perfect candidate for this feature. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mic is under hole on the right hinge (on the left from the light pipes). This hole is visible even with closed lid. I just get an idea: if lid closed ant user pres and hold right shoulder button, it could start recording a voice note... :)

peca said:
Mic is under hole on the right hinge (on the left from the light pipes). This hole is visible even with closed lid. I just get an idea: if lid closed ant user pres and hold right shoulder button, it could start recording a voice note... :)

Yod4z said:
peca exacly what i'm thinking too

I ordered my panda for school (though it has all ready started :-( ) that would be a great set up then i could record lectures straight to it instead of transfer them over from my digital recorder.

Guys, I think there is a 'mic in' on the A/DAC, but I don't think there is *actually* a microphone .. we had this thread a while ago, and MWeston confirmed that the mic input is actually on the headphone jack, and you need one of those headphone/mic adapters to utilize it.

Don't quote me though, I could be totally wrong, but this is what I understand to be true based on the previous thread.

torpor: Now I'm not sure, but AFAIR there is internal mic end external (on TRRS - 4 pin - 3,5 headphones jack). Maybe I'm wrong, but why there is the hole on the hinge then? :)

There is an internal mic and an external mic input on the jack. (Main mic and sub mic, dont remember which is which)
If one has an external mic they could actually be used in tandem to record in stereo :p

EDIT: To try it out, see this post: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54075-so-is-there-an-internal-mic-or-not/page__view__findpost__p__874186

urjaman, reading that post and those below it doesn't leave me feeling confidant that the internal MIC has even been proven to work. Still, I am hopeful that it works and that a simple recorder program can be made for the Pandora (hopefully within the next few months).

Korlithiel said:
urjaman, reading that post and those below it doesn't leave me feeling confidant that the internal MIC has even been proven to work. Still, I am hopeful that it works and that a simple recorder program can be made for the Pandora (hopefully within the next few months).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7bgfxAoyd0 ignore the cropping of audio, was my first try, boosted it too much...

Actually, i can imagine that a simple zenity-based script could be used to demo the recording ability. Pick a filename, click ok to start, recording - click ok to stop. Even provide a menu from where you can aplay your recordings, maybe the loopback mode to test in, and so on...

Actually I think about simple recording scrip already. I need only know how to get event that R-button is pressed and how to check if it is depressed. I think, that if such even call custom script, then it can't be hard start recording after predefined time and stop when button is released. Recording will be save into predefined folder named by some user defined template or just by datetimestamp.
---
If someone can give me an tip, I like hack the script as my participation on better Pandora :) Script seems pretty readable even if I don't know proper syntax yet, but it can't be hard to learn it. Only thing is that I don't know where and how to hook events such as open lid, close lid, bright up/down,... and most important R-button press/pressed for predefined time/release. I even don't if it is possible.

Handling the R button that exactly (press/release) from a script could be a bit cumbersome. OTOH I could see me writing such a daemon in C in a few hours that i dont have now.

Hmm, how are other script calling established? There is some common solution that works on Linux generally, or is there some Pandora specific daemon that catching events and providing script calling? May be question for ED and/or Notaz.

As I want learn Python anyway, I'll take a look if I'm able mess such Voice Recorder application myself. I spot that there is libevent and some binding to Python for it sou it could work somehow. This take a time and nowadays I don't have too spare time, so I rather promise nothing. :-/

Back