Simple C++ Questinon

'lulzfish' said:
?

What are we doing now?
Giving general C++ advice? The last bit there is references. Quite useful, but a difficult concept to properly put into use for someone who started out with C then learned Java.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a doubt, Vim is THE best C++ editor ;)

Hessiess said:
Nah, not THE best, for example I find it to be quite annoying that the code completion window in vim is designed like it is (huge and with very little information; of course a limitation of it being a CLI editor) so I can't work efficiently with it when I have a new API at hand.
I prefer editors where the full screen DPI is used and fonts can have different sizes :p.
It's not really DOxygen 'capable' either because it just can't show enough information about procedures on screen at once for my needs (I want to be able to find what I'm looking for, for example a proc signature, without having to type 3 or 4 key combos).

So, yeah, I prefer X editors when possible, because they just tend to use the screen space more efficiently and are more informative etc so you generally get a better overview over what you're doing.

'dflemstr' said:
'Hessiess' said:
Nah, not THE best, for example I find it to be quite annoying that the code completion window in vim is designed like it is (huge and with very little information; of course a limitation of it being a CLI editor) so I can't work efficiently with it when I have a new API at hand.
I prefer editors where the full screen DPI is used and fonts can have different sizes :p.
It's not really DOxygen 'capable' either because it just can't show enough information about procedures on screen at once for my needs (I want to be able to find what I'm looking for, for example a proc signature, without having to type 3 or 4 key combos).

So, yeah, I prefer X editors when possible, because they just tend to use the screen space more efficiently and are more informative etc so you generally get a better overview over what you're doing.I mostly agree. The value in vim is not so much the implementation (which is very good), but the concept. Modal editing is very efficient, especially for coding.

Editra, Komodo, Kate, Netbeans all have Vi emulation. I find that an ideal compromise.

Hessiess said:
Actually I was referring to GVim, not the CLI version. Modal editing rocks.
Don't tell me that GVIM isn't CLI-based :p It's basically a console with menus...
But yeah, there are alternatives of course. I use the VIM-mode in Kate of course etc.

'Hessiess' said:
As an Emacs user, i must declare that the holy(flame) war is started.
Burn the heretic! Kill the mutant! Purge the unclean!

Back