[ Significant Improvement ] Anki

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
I am porting a new version of Anki, the famous flashcard program, for Pandora, since the previous version on the repo is outdated AND not working anymore on the current firmware. I will also include specific study decks in the PND. 

I'm still using Anki 1 on the desktop, but if this works well, it'll be a point in favour of upgrading.

I am porting a new version of Anki, the famous flashcard program, for Pandora, since the previous version on the repo is outdated AND not working anymore on the current firmware. I will also include specific study decks in the PND. 
Nice, I am currently looking into spaced repetition too and want to use org-drill in emacs/org-mode, mainly because I am already using org-mode as my PIM. Drill seems to be more than powerful enough for my personal usage.

Anki is more user-friendly though, it is able to use pics and has decks available so certainly has its benefits and I will definitely give it a try if you have ported it.

BTW. Did you check Mnemosyne?

It has a lot of python library dependencies that might complicate porting "python-cherrypy3 python-apsw python-setuptools python-virtualenv python-qt4-dev python-sip python-sip-dev pyqt4-dev-tools qt4-designer libqt4-sql python-qt4-sql libqt4-sql-sqlite python-matplotlib python-qt4-phonon python-sphinx", so not sure if this is feasible. Does have some interesting decks available and choice is good ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
i Know Mnemosyne and I could probably find a way to make it work (i checked it before and I have already most of the dependencies taken care of) but I have no interest nor time to work on it now. Maybe later in 2014!

Hey ekianjo, how's this one going? This is one program I've been wanting to be able to use for a while now and unfortunately I didn't have a Panda when this program was first ported. At any rate I'm really looking forward to this one so thanks in advance for your work on this and all the other programs you've brought to the community!

Doesn't open for me. I do have wxPython installed on a 1ghz model with latest firmware.
Do you get a "locale" error ? Can you let me know if :

- you reflashed the firmware to 1.60 or upgraded to it from previous version ? 

- what locale you have in /etc/locale.conf ? 

- what error you get in tmp/pnd_out for anki ? 

The latest Anki incarnation starts fine for me (didn't try the previous release). SZ1.54, latest wxPython, no locale settings (well, no /etc/local.conf file anyway).

Using version 2.0.8.2 from the repo with the most recent wxPython as well, and Anki doesn't start up.

Since my pandora's never updated the OS properly on its own (it always stops downloading files at some point through the process, even when I use a compatible ethernet to USB adapter instead of the WiFi), I've reflashed it two times from SZ 1.54 to SZ 1.55 and then to SZ 1.60.  It actually bricked itself (or would have, had the recovery-menu-thing not been available) when the update from 1.54 to 1.55 failed over WiFi and I had to turn it off for the night.

Anyway, /tmp/pndrun_ankianjo.out says that I need a UTF-8 locale, and I have no /etc/locale.conf file.  I also use OpenBox instead of XFCE for the extra screen space.

I don't know if this could be affecting anything, but I installed mje 1.0 from the website linked to in this article on PandoraLive to get When the Seagulls Cry working using the ONScripter PND on the repo.  Even with the English patch, I still needed to install it so my Pandora could recognize the Japanese file names in the music and sound effects folders.  While there was the side effect of some of my menus showing up in Japanese (which I don't know, by the way), I managed to change it back by following the instruction in one of the comments that said to comment out two of the four lines in ~/.profile.  The four lines as they appear in the file on my Pandora are as follows:

#export LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
#export LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8
export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim
export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim

I know the first two aren't doing anything, but I don't know about the last two.

Using version 2.0.8.2 from the repo with the most recent wxPython as well, and Anki doesn't start up.

Since my pandora's never updated the OS properly on its own (it always stops downloading files at some point through the process, even when I use a compatible ethernet to USB adapter instead of the WiFi), I've reflashed it two times from SZ 1.54 to SZ 1.55 and then to SZ 1.60.  It actually bricked itself (or would have, had the recovery-menu-thing not been available) when the update from 1.54 to 1.55 failed over WiFi and I had to turn it off for the night.

Anyway, /tmp/pndrun_ankianjo.out says that I need a UTF-8 locale, and I have no /etc/locale.conf file.  I also use OpenBox instead of XFCE for the extra screen space.

I don't know if this could be affecting anything, but I installed mje 1.0 from the website linked to in this article on PandoraLive to get When the Seagulls Cry working using the ONScripter PND on the repo.  Even with the English patch, I still needed to install it so my Pandora could recognize the Japanese file names in the music and sound effects folders.  While there was the side effect of some of my menus showing up in Japanese (which I don't know, by the way), I managed to change it back by following the instruction in one of the comments that said to comment out two of the four lines in ~/.profile.  The four lines as they appear in the file on my Pandora are as follows:

#export LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

#export LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8

export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim

export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim

I know the first two aren't doing anything, but I don't know about the last two.
I'm not sure I understood, but I think you may try to change the first 2 lines with

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

and it should work.

A quick check of my .profile shows I have an entry of export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8

I put this in ages ago for date formating and totally forgot it was there. I guess (anecdotally at least), a UTF-8 "locale" needs to be forced for Anki to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your suggestion worked, ptitSeb.  Seems like a locale does need to be "forced," as MarkW said, in the .profile file in a user's home folder for Anki to work.

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to reply. I get the same error as Odd4Life in the pndrun_ankianjo.out file. I also checked my .profile file and I don't have any UTF-8 entries at all. I tried entering them manually but that had no effect.

My .profile isn't in my Home folder, it's actually in /home/orion4874/. Would that make any difference?

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to reply. I get the same error as Odd4Life in the pndrun_ankianjo.out file. I also checked my .profile file and I don't have any UTF-8 entries at all. I tried entering them manually but that had no effect.

My .profile isn't in my Home folder, it's actually in /home/orion4874/. Would that make any difference?
You can also probably put that in you bashrc.

Open a Terminal and type

mousepad ~/.bashrc

And there add the 2 export (you can also uncomment some line to get colored 'ls')...

Back