Showroom

otaco

Still Fresh
Website
www.otaco.de
After reading so much about the Pandora system I decided to cancel my current software projects for the gp2x and aim towards the new one.

(The first project)

My second project is a easy to use image viewer named “Showroom”. I have to implement a GUI-Toolkit for my university project and this will be a good test case for it. The program will feature full touchscreen support (with gesture control to select, zoom or scale), file browsing with thumbnails, image manipulation (like picasa), thumbnail views in different sizes, a presentation mode with different transitions, and export functions (image to scaled image or image to webside). Here is a little impression of the interface:

showroom.jpg

Ideas for the program are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just add some categories (maybe also have a separate view for this), and you'll have yourself a mobile photo album suite. Nice work!

Oh, and maybe music playback during a presentation. (Or, hey, why not during the entire session?) However, I'm not sure if it is such a good idea to implement this just yet until we know if there'll be any special APIs or whatever for music playback. It would be nice to have all software be using one sound "system" if possible to keep confusion and inconsistencies to a minimum.

You can add some meta information to the image in the textbox below the big image. Maybe a search function would be nice.

Since we have a real desktop linux in the background you can start your music player parallel to the Showroom application.

That does look beautiful. And if it can manage some image-manipulation, would be even better - we'll be able to find out whether that nicely composed but horribly lighted photo can be recovered or not on the move :).

Not that one needs to given the power of modern computers but still pretty cool, methinks.

Also, as and when Pandora comes out, make sure you implement a TV-out mode which shows a slideshow of selected images. Preferably with an option to either move forward on input or on timer. The former would be good for presentations via accessible projector. The latter would be great for using Pandora for a slideshow at an event. Simple, but useful :).

Edit:
This user has chosen to retract his or her bid, if you feel that this retraction was unnecessary, please contact the nearest eBay administrator immediately. Thank you for your business.

How much would it take to implement a built-in Flickr uploader using the Flickr API?

Nice idea.

Zip and RAR support smile.gif

For what exactly. If you have a 2/4/8 GB SD-Card I don't see a reason to make archives. Give me a reason and I will think about it.

otaco said:

For what exactly. If you have a 2/4/8 GB SD-Card I don't see a reason to make archives. Give me a reason and I will think about it.

Because it's easier to have photos grouped in an archive (for transfer, archival and so on)?

otaco said:
1 - It's faster copying a large zip file to a SD-Card than thousands small jpg files.
2 - You can use zip files (or folder) as categories in your program:

summer2007.zip
christmas2007.zip

otaco said:

Most of the time, mangas, comics or image packs etc are packed in to zips or RARs. So rather then decompressing them and then transferring to card, it is much easier (and faster as it is one file rather then dozens) to keep them in the archiver format.

otaco said:
Ideas for the program are welcome.
-VERTICAL Mode for documents or to read Comics etc.
-simple changing the Images/ switching throug pages by sliding 'em to the side with stylus or fingers. (some kind of I-Phone movement method)
-maybe save/rename function for images including Format change like bmp to .jpg or png etc.

yaustar said:
otaco said:

Most of the time, mangas, comics or image packs etc are packed in to zips or RARs. So rather then decompressing them and then transferring to card, it is much easier (and faster as it is one file rather then dozens) to keep them in the archiver format.
If you do plan to support archived image sets (please), you should know that they frequently have the extensions .CBZ for zips and .CBR for rars. The file formats are untouched, just the extensions changed to indicate they are Comic Book Zips and Comic Book Rars.

So if you do implement this feature, you should have the program look for these extensions in addition to the standard ones.

fusion_power said:
-VERTICAL Mode for documents or to read Comics etc.
Allthough I like portrait mode in a tablet very much, my experience with the Psion 5mx has taught me that it is rather more cumbersome on a clamshell device.

I urge every developer to really try this out before implementing it (well, insomuch as urging is part of my special powers, that is).

Magnulus said:
It would be great if you could read the exif data off them and maybe add localisation as well, that way, it could work nicely as a companion for our cameras.
Ok, thats a easy one, with jpeg and raw as far as I know.

Back