Shoulder buttons as mouse buttons?

kc187

Still Fresh
Hey everyone,

I'd like to use my shoulder buttons as mouse buttons. Preferrably something like right is right click, left is left click and maybe fn+left is middle click.

Can someone point out how I can do this, or if I even can?

Thanks in advance.

This is from the tweaks thread in the Support section, if it's of any help. I seem to recall that it can cause some issues, though, so you'll probably want to read up on it thoroughly before following the guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
i tired the above thread on HF5 RC2 and mapping would time out, not sure if this is still the case with HF5 final?

^ I'm pretty sure that that's not exclusive to Hotfix 5 (it's one of the issues I was referring to).

All the info you'll need for this is here: http://pandorawiki.org/Keyboard_remapping

thanks that's a very clear explanation and the timeout fix seems to work now!

edit/

agh spoke too soon getting same problems now of timeout not working or even the mapping now working :(

edit2/

looks like if you copy the timeout script to usr/bin then call that from Settings/Session and Startup it works! yah

All the info you'll need for this is here: http://pandorawiki.org/Keyboard_remapping
Excellent, thank you!

I should really start compiling all this stuff I'm learning and write a quick and dirty FAQ.

Is there interest in this?

I certainly am. :) Could you write it with 'Complete Idiots' in mind? I'm finding that a lot is 'assumed' when these guides or tips or written.

For instance - I want to remap my shoulder buttons to function as mouse buttons (a lot of my dos games are unplayable - i.e. Lemmings)

BUT:

"2.Edit the .pndXmodmap file in your home directory, modify or add (in the correct numerical order for ease) lines like this (for the shoulder buttons) "

I can't find any .pndXmodmap in my home directory! >.<

Is it in a sub directory? Where? :blink:

I'm assuming that little folder icon with a 'house' on it when using Thunar is my home directory?

^ Files that start with a "." in their name are by default hidden. Try finding a "show hidden files" switch in thunar. In a terminal you can list all files, including hidden ones with "ls -a"

Ok, so now I'm stuck here:

5.To make this permanent, download a compiled version of xkbset, copy to /usr/bin and chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset

Is /usr/bin the same as the 'bin' folder when I click on 'File System' in Thunar? If so, it wont let me copy xkbset there...? :huh:

And to pre-empt my next question I assume I must be inside the bin folder, 'open terminal here' and type:

chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset

Correct? o.o

or - chmod a+x xkbset

because I'm already inside the folder?

Ok, so now I'm stuck here:

5.To make this permanent, download a compiled version of xkbset, copy to /usr/bin and chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset

Is /usr/bin the same as the 'bin' folder when I click on 'File System' in Thunar? If so, it wont let me copy xkbset there...? :huh:
No, there's another "bin" folder under "usr". The difference is basically that "/bin" holds core executables like "bash" and "cp" and "chmod", while "/usr/bin/" holds application executables (or links to them). Both are owned by the "root" user by default, so you can't write to them without superuser privileges. I'm guessing pandora has "sudo" installed by default, so you can use "sudo thunar" (IIRC thunar can be started with command thunar) to start a superuser privileged version of thunar where you can copy the file where you want.

And to pre-empt my next question I assume I must be inside the bin folder, 'open terminal here' and type:

chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset

Correct? o.o

or - chmod a+x xkbset

because I'm already inside the folder?
Inside "/usr/bin" yes. The former version you can use anywhere as it uses an absolute path from the root "/".

Right, almost there.

I'm now at:

9.Add this script to XFCE autostarted stuff (Session and Startup->Application Autostart)

I have a little window up that askes for:

Key:

Description:

Command:

Is the 'key' the name of the script file I installed?

description can be anything I like?

Command... now this I have no idea?

Key is a name for the autostart item, like "xkbset"

Description is a longer description like "Sets shoulder buttons as mouse buttons"

Command is tha actual command to run at startup, here "/usr/bin/xkbset"

EDIT: Unnecessary quote. Also the above is a bit of a guesswork since I don't have xfce in front of me :)

Yes!

It works!!!! :lol:

Final question: If I want to swap the shoulder buttons around, do I have to go through the whole process again, or just edit .pndXmodmap , save and restart?

Just edit the file. Should work.

Edited the file, restarted and it works perfectly!

All keen to go try this out in Dosbox and....

"

Z:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

Z:\>SET ULTRASND=240,3,3,5,5

Z:\>SET ULTRADIR=C:\\ULTRASND

Z:\>

"

Where's my C:\> ????

Very strange. I'm redownloading Dosbox, will delete old .pnd as well as directory in appdata, restart, copy over new .pnd and hopefully everything will be back to normal...

Have no idea why this happened... :blink:

... Life is never simple...

Back