Should I Buy The Wiz

game wiz fan 21 said:
wiz looks cool but the dingoo is cheap but might not get good emulators :huh:
You should buy the Wiz because you will look stupid posting in the Dingoo section with a nick name "game *WIZ* fan". :p

Really it all depends on what you want to spend and if the better OLED screen on the wiz has any merit. If the Wiz 3D chip and touchscreen ever sees use that would be a plus too. Emus will be good on both.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
game wiz fan 21 said:
wiz looks cool but the dingoo is cheap but might not get good emulators :huh:
You should buy the Wiz because you will look stupid posting in the Dingoo section with a nick name "game *WIZ* fan". :p

Really it all depends on what you want to spend and if the better OLED screen on the wiz has any merit. If the Wiz 3D chip and touchscreen ever sees use that would be a plus too. Emus will be good on both.

The touchscreen is awesome for ScummVM. Playing Monkey Island 2 on the Wiz is just awesome :D Especially with the OLED screen.

Now, game wiz fan 21, what do you want ? A cheap handheld to run snes/megadrive/old games ? If so, just go with the Dingoo : I do not have one, but it seems very nice. However, if you want a touchscreen, play games with awesome image quality (OLED screen vs LCD), and have something more powerful (PSX emulation is getting pretty nice), go with the Wiz... And its higher price. :p

Take a look to http://dl.openhandhelds.org

Compare the number of applications for Wiz and for Dingoo. An open source without releases fails, so I think Wiz is much better choice than Dingoo. Furthermore, even if there is some advertising against Wiz through Youtube videos, the emulators runs much better on Wiz than Dingoo. Try for example the MAME one.

Seems that Wiz is out of stock in most shops. Try http://www.adictron.eu I got mine from there. Adictron have Wiz in stock for a good price, and they accept payment in cash with delivery for almost all Europe countries.

Why choose? Get both - dingoo is the price of one decent night out on the booze - your liver will thank you, and even though the wiz will end up with mostly superior emulators (especially in harder-to-emulate systems), there'll be tons you can play on the dingoo with superior controls.

Cheers (and no beers - remember, you're saving for a dingoo too ;-P
Simon

From my 'hackers' point of view,

I got rid of my Dingoo as I was not awestruck on the physical device (I had an early one and build felt cheap, controls where 'patchy' and the screen was not good IMHO) and it just somehow did not appeal as a platform I wanted to sink my time into despite having a lot going for it 'on paper'. Can't really put my finger on why I did not like it.

The Wiz on the other hand is proving quite a cute little platform to hack about on.

The device form factor has grown on me and I don't find the buttons or dPad to be an issue for what I use it for. I'll be honest and say that I think some of the attraction comes from it's faults rather than lack of them :) . Its much more entertaining working to get the best out of a device and working with it's features and faults ;) rather than just ./configure "porting" everything in sight.

I can't really give you any advice on what to buy as I suspect your a big emulator fan and that is not what I do, but as long as my Wiz keeps working I can see it staying in my 'I like hacking on this' plie for a long time to come along with some GP2X's, a few Pandora's and about 2 dozen other devices and boards :lol: .

It also helps the GF likes the 'GP2X Micro' and thinks it is nicely finished so that scores it some points.

Why choose? Get both - dingoo is the price of one decent night out on the booze - your liver will thank you, and even though the wiz will end up with mostly superior emulators (especially in harder-to-emulate systems), there'll be tons you can play on the dingoo with superior controls.

Simon

But you will save a lot of time downloading and getting all the new released stuff, updated emulators, roms, new applications etc in only 1 system. I don't see the need to get 2 systems when they are similar. And not everybody can afford getting both. So if choosing only 1 system, get Wiz first.

Other reason to choose Wiz instead is the screen quality.

I say nay, so far as a new user to GPH, my impressions are so far that they only care about money. I STILL don't have my fucking replacement usb cable that I was promised.

The Dingoo seems to be a good way for someone to get their feet wet on the open handheld scene if you've never owned a GP32/GP2X. The price of entry is very low, and you already have some very impressive emulators all the way up to Sega CD, SNES and MAME.

I myself picked up a Dingoo with the intention of probably buying a Wiz in the future once the software has matured further.

centrlink said:

Simon
I don't think getting both is that good of an idea really. They both really do the same thing, run emus. Just buy one OR the other , then go get drunk.

The Wiz would be a no-brainer if it was used more. The 3D chip is not even touched yet. If it was used for some things then it would be a pretty big selling point. As of now though it comes down to how much are you willing to spend and if the OLEd screen is worth the extra dough. I think if arcade classics are your thing then the screen on the Wiz should make that an easy choice as it looks much better than an LCD.

I concur, I've pretty much turned my WIZ into a total MAME system .. the OLED screen really makes those old games shine, and its pretty much the best MAME experience I've had in a long time.

I only wish we could get more done with the 3D chipset .. c'mon homebrew'ers!

They both really do the same thing, run emus

The Wiz can do a lot more things than playing emulators. Some excellent homebrew coders make some great original content for GP2x/Wiz. I don't know if the Dingoo scene has something to compare with that...

sbock said:
They both really do the same thing, run emus

The Wiz can do a lot more things than playing emulators. Some excellent homebrew coders make some great original content for GP2x/Wiz. I don't know if the Dingoo scene has something to compare with that...

Totally agree. Saying that Wiz is the same than Dingoo because both runs emus makes no sense. Is GP32 and GP2X-Wiz the same? Then buy GP32 because is much cheaper nowadays :p

Back