Sharp Zaurus Handheld

I found out about this a couple of weeks ago from a friend who saw it in america. We're hoping to get one in at work soon to 'investigate it's potential' (that's 'play with' in case you were wondering).

My Brother in Law has one. The Zaurus SL 5600. Unless you have a knowledge of the Linux operating system, I would leave it alone. The reason I say this is because some developers for the system neglect the visual utilities for installing packages, and instead require you to manually put everything in the right place. Unpacking some of the new files to do this require you to have a linux desktop and, becasue of this, we have yet to even get the snes emulator installed to be able to try it out.

Linux based handhelds are no worse or better than any of the other handhelds available. But you have to accept the community that comes along with anything linux based. You have to deal with a lot of nerds who can't seem to understand why you are having problems compiling a driver yourself. Browsing the forums puts you quickly in the deep-end of people assuming you already understand what they consider to be "basic".

Yeah, I've heard of this. I used to have the Sharp OZ-700 personal organiser and the dev community there were all jumping off to the Zaurus at the time. It looks quite nice and if you like Linux, it's completely hackable and has a great open source community. Plus stuff is easy to port. I hope it goes down in price (the older models, I mean) so I can grab one and mess with it.

Back