Shadow Warrior Source Code Released

Imerion

Shadow Warrior source code has been released by 3D Realms. Using the BUILD-engine (same as Duke Nukem 3D) it is a nice and fun 3d game with many cool features (vehicles for example). Now when the sourcecode is released, I suppose a GP32 version should be possible to do.
The source can be found here anyway:
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/post...&Board=swsource

It would be nice, but it uses the Duke Nukem 3D engine. No one has ported that one since it was released 2 years ago. I guess if Duke gets ported so will SW.

it uses the build engine.. not the dukenukem (duke nukem uses build too) like blood...
dont know if its possible.. duke nukem wasnt ported because of ram issues i think..
is this game smaller?

it uses the build engine.. not the dukenukem (duke nukem uses build too) like blood...
dont know if its possible.. duke nukem wasnt ported because of ram issues i think..
is this game smaller?

If that is the problem this will probably not get ported. It takes twice as much ram as Duke. :(
If a port should be possible the data files has to be edited, and I doubt that is legal...

Sonic-NKT posted on Apr 2 2005 at 07:11 AM said:
is this game smaller?
I thought Duke wasn't ported because of floating point variables?

Last edited by a moderator:
Azure posted on Apr 2 2005 at 10:33 PM said:
Sonic-NKT posted on Apr 2 2005 at 07:11 AM said:
is this game smaller?
I thought Duke wasn't ported because of floating point variables?
No, Duke hasn't been ported because the code is a mess. I took one look at it and ran away, and I think a few others have done the same thing.

I know I have Woogal :)

It's a shame, but there are other things to port, like OpenBOR, which are a lot more tidy than Duke.

Oh I had assumed Duke was not ported because of floating point math, I'll have to have a look at the source myself now. Cool Duke rules!

Don't count on it. Shadow Warriors code is even more fucking confusing than Duke 3Ds. The source code was cobbled together from several different versions, and in some cases code was taken from different games.

RAM and Floating Point code are also big issues, since Shadow Warrior expanded the need for both.

Build is famous in the industry for being one of the worst engines ever designed. I don't know if anyone here has looked at the Duke3D build source that has already been provided, but personally I'd rather write an engine and interpreter from scratch than bother porting that monster.

Build is famous in the industry for being one of the worst engines ever designed. I don't know if anyone here has looked at the Duke3D build source that has already been provided, but personally I'd rather write an engine and interpreter from scratch than bother porting that monster.

Perhaps, but the BUILD engine is damn fast. On my old P133 Mhz I could run Shadow Warrior in 640x480 resolution with no slowdown at all. Loads of detail and all looks nice. It is because its a raycaster though. They tend to be quite fast. Have written one myself...

Reesy posted on Apr 3 2005 at 07:30 AM said:
Oh I had assumed Duke was not ported because of floating point math, I'll have to have a look at the source myself now. Cool Duke rules!
That's what everyone said last time I asked about this. Woah, nice one Reesy!

Imerion posted on Apr 8 2005 at 08:56 AM said:

Perhaps, but the BUILD engine is damn fast. On my old P133 Mhz I could run Shadow Warrior in 640x480 resolution with no slowdown at all. Loads of detail and all looks nice. It is because its a raycaster though. They tend to be quite fast. Have written one myself...

I thought Build was portal-based, not a raycaster engine.

Not having coded anything or knowing anything about coding, I can't comment on the actual code of the game. I have however built maps for Duke3D for most of the versions after 1.3. Various engine tricks take special things to be placed that call them, like elevators that make it seem that there's sectors over sectors, water sectors, moving ones. I would imagine with each of those routines added, the thing would be bulky. With all that in memory, would there even be enough RAM left to run any map?

Woogal, Squidge and Reesy... You 3 should team up and look at the Duke Source together and then it will be 3 times Less scary :)

Anything is possible, people didnt think GPQuake would get any better than a few FPS, but look at what Woogal managed to do once he got his hands on it :D, Its Excellent now :D

Duke kicks ass :D

Back