serial port

paolo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
where is located the com port? is it a fully functional serial port? is that a standard connector type (for sure the classic din9 is too large) or one has to build a custom one with soldiering iron like I had for my psp?

sephiap said:
afaik there is no serial/com port?

there is USB and as per the Pandora wiki:

RS-232 will be included, but a level converter will be needed for the UART.

http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora

D'OH :ph34r:

this means that will have a "virtual" rs-232 isn't it (like saying pandora has a printer, but a usb printer is needed)? Or this means there is a hardware-level interface but anyway you'll need to connect it via usb (why don't use a usb to uart converter directly)?
I ask this since also psp serial cable I've soldered uses a max232 chip but I connect it to the psp serial port (because it's a real serial port but with different power levels :)

The RS232 port exists on the board, but there was no room / little need for an actual serial port on the Pandora. If you wish to use it, you can see the solder points in this pic (lower right), but you're on your own for figuring out a way to hook up your RS232 device with the Pandora assembled. I believe it's there more for testing and internal (ie: IRDA) mods.

Chip said:
The RS232 port exists on the board, but there was no room / little need for an actual serial port on the Pandora. If you wish to use it, you can see the solder points in this pic (lower right), but you're on your own for figuring out a way to hook up your RS232 device with the Pandora assembled. I believe it's there more for testing and internal (ie: IRDA) mods.

COOOL in the pic I can clearly see the com pins! One has to dremel the plastics then :p he he no pain no gain, as always :) but will be the first thing I'll do (obd2 interface anyone??)

Many thanks for the pic info

Intend to also use mine for remote diagnostics on broadcast editing systems at work.

You could probably just use a serial-bluetooth converter/adapter. I believe some rs232 folks have successfully used these things with the Nokias.

As far as I understand the following post:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s= ... t&p=648916

The AV Connector will have pins for 2 UART. So you do not even have to open the case to access the serial port?
You will still have to use a max232 or something else for power conversion...

Last edited by a moderator:
hede said:
The AV Connector will have pins for 2 UART.
That's my understanding too. AFAIK one of them is connected to the Linux console, so it'd be interesting to see if the aforementioned solder pads still exist on the latest revision of the PCB; they've probably been rerouted to the EXT connector instead.

Back