Sensible Soccer

stickofjoy

I've sent my GP32 back for replacement (off centre joystick) and was just interested to know if Sensible Soccer works yet?

There are lots of versions about, the one I'd like to work is the single disc version 1.2 (http://atariforce.free.fr/st/jeux/sens120.zip) but JOE'S FTP has some good two disc releases of most versions.

Can somebody please let me know? :huh:

Should you really be downloading sensible games, have they gone bust?? even if they have atari still exists so someone might take the whole site down :(

Sensible Software were bought out by Codemasters. So I guess they own the rights...

I have the original ST version in my cupboard at home, I also have every console version released (Master System, Megadrive, Gamegear, Gameboy, SNES, Jaguar). Just so you know...

Regardless I would just like to know if it works or not. Thanks.

nope..

the 1.2 disc version off atari st pirates gold doesn't work either - keeps loading ont the main screen and hangs?

it doesn't work too well with castaway either, so I guess it is the emulation core that still has a few problems. :(

anyway, i think i might let it roll onto the menu and demo game by using frameskip 99 just to see if it scroll and shows a cpu controlled match well enough? :eek:

Try the Master System version or snes on snesemu or even wait for the genesis version(they are not as good - I know)

I've tried the 2 disk versions of version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and they all crash with weird flashing background colours. The demo matches work but are only full speed at about frameskip 10!

I thought Sensi would work pretty easily but I guess not... :(

"timthepig" said:
Try the Master System version or snes on snesemu or even wait for the genesis version(they are not as good - I know)
I have these Tim, thanks.

I've tried the 2 disk versions of version 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and they all crash with weird flashing background colours. The demo matches work but are only full speed at about frameskip 10!

I thought Sensi would work pretty easily but I guess not... :(
:( perhaps there are some emu issues which cause it to run slow...?

I'll see if CaSTaway supports it in future. I still dream on proper Sensi on the bus...

Last edited by a moderator:
thebluenewt posted on May 6 2003 said:
I'm still hoping for an Amiga emulator I think Jeff has shown us that almost anything can be done if someone (who knows how to program) puts their mind to it! Ahh SWOS on the bus...
Well, I fear Amiga on GP32 may never happen. Jeff is doing a sterling job porting CaSTaway to the GP32, but you can't forget that with CaSTaway and CastCE a lot of the hard work had been done. I'm not saying Jeff's task has been anything less than fantastic though!

With an Amiga emu, unless there is a small, tidy, ARM focused port it's a long way off. Is there such a PocketPC emu in development?

stickofjoy posted on May 6 2003 said:
thebluenewt posted on May 6 2003 said:
I'm still hoping for an Amiga emulator I think Jeff has shown us that almost anything can be done if someone (who knows how to program) puts their mind to it! Ahh SWOS on the bus...
Well, I fear Amiga on GP32 may never happen. Jeff is doing a sterling job porting CaSTaway to the GP32, but you can't forget that with CaSTaway and CastCE a lot of the hard work had been done. I'm not saying Jeff's task has been anything less than fantastic though!

With an Amiga emu, unless there is a small, tidy, ARM focused port it's a long way off. Is there such a PocketPC emu in development?
We need some Amiga experts, but my gutt feeling would be an Amiga woudl be much tougher to pull off; the ST had virtuslly no extar rendering hardware. IT had good processing, and was overall a sturdy machine, but most of its greatenss came from its community of developers and users. The Amiga had a lot mroe to it in terms of rendering hardware, so it'd definately push the GP32 a *lot* more. I imagine some of its resolutions could be donme pretty well (ie: Amiga low res) .. comparable to Castaway/GP but a bit slower. But when your'e talking HAM modes etc etc with a lot of fancy stuff going on.. you'd prolly kill things. But it really depends on how optimized the system is.

Some background..

I have my own ST emulator that few know about; "TOSemu"; its a 68k and TOS emualtion.. not an ST per se. IT can't run gEM or VDI or any graphcis routines or timers.. but it does run TOS apps well. I built it to run my BBS in.. so you can telnet to my real ST BBS, from 15 years ago, running in emulation. Cool. But TOSemu woudl be too much work to add graphic and "ST" support into. So I skipped it after basic testing.

I ported STonX, but it was making me angry for a pile of reasons.

Then I ported Castaway proper, as its a simple codebase. It has serious compatability issues, and isn't the most efficient begger out there.

Then I ported CastCE. Its a little less clean codebase (a lot less clean perhaps ;), but the author did an immense amoutn of work optimizing it and makign it mroe compatible. Thank him for the sound system, and for an extra 15% speed boost over Castaway proper.

So for Castaway/GP I give them all the creds.. sure I spent 3 weeks of hard time hacking away at it, porting it, building the menu and virtual controls and all that, but I didn't do *that* much for the ST emulation, and I can't afford to.. not enough free time right now. But I wanted an ST emu,so I made one available :)

So.. an Amiga you say?

UAE is the more popular Amiga emulator I think; I'm not sure how juiced up it is, but las I looked (years ago!), it wasn't the speediest beast around. That may have changed.

What you want is somethign peopel have already optimized the hell outof, so you can do a quick port. Otherwise, if your'e an Amiga lover who knows the hardwarem, you can do some optimization. The GP32 is fast for a *handheld*, but isnt' really fast overall. An emualtion needs *serious* optimization to work well for the GP32.

I got lucky with CastCE.. he'd done a lot of it for me. I was going to work over Castaway (in fac,t I sped it up a good 10 or 15% myself, before I found CastCE :p), but he did a wicked job.

I dunno if theres anythign like that for the Amiga though, so someone would have to roll up the sleevbes and get serious, likely.

jeff

i had a chat with someone very qualified when it comes to amiga emulation, he believes the gp32 is possible of running uae but it would have to be a very cut down version as the latest builds of uae have a ton of features. but a basic version of uae (still great for runnin all the a500 games and most classic amiga games were for the a500) should be possible.

also dosuae for anyone who remembers that used to run full speed on my old pentium 166

Someone posted the same problem on the CastCE forum so that's a problem related to CastCE core source. Probably you'll have to wait for a CastCE fix unless skeezix solves the emulation bug.

Back