Sending input to a PC and receiving video back.

GiraffeeDreams

Always Dreaming
Would it be possible to create a PND that sends control inputs to a computer and receives video back, like a remote desktop program.

The main reason I want this is to connect to my laptop running say, a dreamcast or PS2 emulator, sending the video back to the pandora, I saw something like this years ago that let you connect to a pc and receive video back, allowing you to play high spec games over the net, it even had a version for Yellow Dog Linux on the PS3, and it had an iOS app in development (demo showed Crysis running high spec on an iPhone).

It could be used for other things obviously, there are remote desktop clients out there already, would it take much to create one or port one to the Pandora?

I'm wondering how cheaply a simple client device for this kind of thing could be produced...

Have you tried Remmina? I use that to connect to a VNC server running on my other computer when I want to access it while wandering around the house.

EDIT: It's included in Zaxxon, so you should already have it.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Remote Desktop is nowhere near usable speeds for edit:fast-paced gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( what about directly connecting to a PC via ethernet (using a USB-Ethernet adapter)? would that make much difference?

Also I'm still on HF6, I'm usually away from my computer, most of my posting comes via the Pandora or an iPad, having read Super Zaxxon is somewhere near complete I will make an effort to update my Pandora.

Well just try it out with Remmina. I can't imagine you'll be happy playing an FPS or similar that way.

Shame, would have loved to play TimeSplitters 2 on the Pandora :(

I'll try it out when I update, I'll try to do it later today.

Remote Desktop/VNC aren't really built for something like this, you would need a custom windows server and pandora client built to handle video streaming and input. I've found that watching videos over Splashtop from a phone/tablet are actually pretty watchable, but I don't know about gaming...PS2/DC can be quite draining on the system, and it would have to capture video, compress it, and send it over wifi constantly, while also accepting input from the Pandora, which would need optimized client software to run everything okay. Of course OnLive does this sort of thing perfectly, on computers or phones or tablets. So it is possible. But OnLive is probably VERY optimized for exactly that sort of thing. An app like this would take a lot of time and work to get right. But it would be awesome if we had it! :D

Back