Semi-brickage After Firmware 2 Update

gleng

Still Fresh
OK, here we go...

I've tried updating to Firmware 2.0. It updates the firmware successfully, does the patching part, but then never gets past the formatting stage. It was done from a freshly formatted card, which has always worked for previous updates.

I've tried the update a few times now, each time leaving it for over 2 to 3 hours, and it never gets past the "formatting" stage.

I've read the unbricking guide, and I tried reverting to the 1.01 firmware, but that refused to boot past the gp2x logo screen afterwards. So I'm trying version 2 again, which is now semi installed, but still hangs on the formatting screen.

I've come to the following conclusions. When switching it on without the SD card in:

1) I'm getting the black screen with the GP2X logo and the jingle, so u-boot is fine.

2) It's getting as far as the green loading screen, so the kernel is fine.

3) It's not reaching the main menu screen, so it looks like the root filesystem is trashed.

Before I go out and buy the bits to build a serial cable so I can see what the hell it's doing, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions here.

1) Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how was it resolved?
2) Is there a way I can force an overwrite of the trashed filesystem with a working image?
3) If all else fails, is there somewhere I can get it professionally reflashed in the UK? (Assuming gp2x.co.uk?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Fishbong posted on May 8 2006 at 09:16 PM said:
Did you try holding start + select at startup?

Yup, that's how I've been starting the update process each time.

EDIT: OK, I left it at the "formatting" stage for about 5 hours last night. I'm pretty sure it's not going to go past it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
reeced posted on May 9 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
There's a guide here which may help you - http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/

Yeah, that's the unbricking guide that I tried, I did the kernel + filesystem bits, but not the uboot bit. Maybe I should just go ahead and do the whole thing. At the moment I've got nothing to lose.

OK. On further advice from EvilDragon, it looks like the problem is faulty NAND, and the only solution is an exchange. I suppose the upgrade to Firmware 2 is what found the bad blocks.

Oh well, I'll try and arrange an exchange. I'll keep the thread updated.

It least it wasn't my fault! Hurrah!

gleng posted on May 10 2006 at 03:01 AM said:
OK. On further advice from EvilDragon, it looks like the problem is faulty NAND, and the only solution is an exchange. I suppose the upgrade to Firmware 2 is what found the bad blocks.

Oh well, I'll try and arrange an exchange. I'll keep the thread updated.

It least it wasn't my fault! Hurrah!

How did you determine it was faulty NAND? I'm having the same problem you described and I'd like to figure out what's going on or how to fix it.

I didn't know about the Select + Start thing, I'll give that a try tonight when I get home (no idea what it does but I'll give it a try anyway).

Well, I had one gp2x with the same symptom. I checked the Bad Blocks using JTAG and it had over 50 bad blocks.

Whenever I checked the FW Upgrade to 2.0 with the serial cable, it gave me a "Bad Magic Number" error while flashing and stopped.

Of course, yours could be a different problem, but I can't think of any other reason while flashing the new filesystem won't work.

i too had the same problem i thought it was my card as its on the "non working list" (intergal 1GB)

then i tried it again but deleted gp2xboot.img

and it worked fine...

(about 7 hours later my card corrupted (hopefully isolated as i was installing mame)

clarky2o2o posted on May 10 2006 at 01:21 PM said:
then i tried it again but deleted gp2xboot.img
OK, I'll try this when I get home and see what happens.

EDIT: Nah. Didn't work. Back it goes then. :)

Back