Selling A Pandora In Italy

kattle87

Sorry if this is not the right place... Suggestions are welcome about where put this announce.
I live in Milan. When I preordered I did it with a friend of mine. We get 2 pandas and 2 TV cables. Actually, this "trusted" friend doesn't want to re-order by bank transfer. I am willing to get 2 pandoras (so bank transfer cost halves for the single pandora) and sell one at the same price I'm reordering it (245€ + bank transfer cost). If you are interested, PM me.

Abito a Milano. Io e un mio amico avevamo fatto il pre-ordine di 1 pandora + 1 cavo TV a testa, ma adesso lui si è tirato indietro e non vuole più riordinare. Pensavo di prenderli comunque entrambi per poi rivenderne uno allo stesso prezzo con cui ora andrò a riordinare (grossomodo 245€ per pandora + cavo TV, a parte le eventuali spese di bonifico bancario, spero < 10€ a pezzo). Abito a Milano e sarei felicissimo di fare lo scambio "a mano" per evitare spese di spedizione e simili, altrimenti accetterò qualunque metodo di pagamento. NB: mi pagherete quando lo avrò in mano, per adesso mandatemi un messaggio privato per dirmi se siete interessati e in caso "prenotarvi".

And there was me thinking I was going to get Rick roll'd again.

I'm surprised this is the first topic, or maybe just the first I've noticed with this suggestion. You'd think the people who want to back out of re-ordering their Pandora's would have the sense to try and profit from it. Not that you're doing that, of course.

Hey kattle87, you could contact the Pandora sales team and change your order to just one Pandora, but I think its commendable that you aren't trying to profit from the extra unit you have on order.

WoD said:
You'd think the people who want to back out of re-ordering their Pandora's would have the sense to try and profit from it.
That kind of scumbag profiteering wouldn't be very cool, would it? Buying items that are only available in limited quantities and reselling them at overinflated prices is just opportunistic and greedy. And nobody likes a greedy douchbag.

Last edited by a moderator:
sold said:
Hey kattle87, you could contact the Pandora sales team and change your order to just one Pandora, but I think its commendable that you aren't trying to profit from the extra unit you have on order.

WoD said:
You'd think the people who want to back out of re-ordering their Pandora's would have the sense to try and profit from it.
That kind of scumbag profiteering wouldn't be very cool, would it? Buying items that are only available in limited quantities and reselling them at overinflated prices is just opportunistic and greedy. And nobody likes a greedy douchbag.

Do you know how many people sold OLPCs on eBay after they were gone? Tons and tons of them showed up for 200+ the original donation price because of the demand. It's not a greedy douchebag mentality, it's another way people make money in this world. I don't mean to come off like a jackass but the message I'm getting from your post is that you want everyone to give a fair and just price for something that you want no matter what it is or what extensive process the person selling had to go through to get it. That's just not possible, there will always be resellers, and middle men to go through if convince is the name of the game.

By the way, saying that kind of stuff isn't going to stop someone from doing it, happens every single day in places near and far, like I said it is just a way of doing business. Not that I particularly support it, but if I wanted a Pandora bad enough and was stupid with my money, I would go for it in a heartbeat.

It is kinda greedy to make a huge profit, like selling the Pandora for $600+, but if people will pay that amount, then it lets them get one where they previously didn't have the opportunity. It's how capitalism works.

sold said:
I know I can make something like this... But I would like to save them some headaches, plus I think I would have little problems in placing this piece of Hardware.

sold said:
WoD said:

It isn't scumbag, it's just plain profiteering. And is a common practice too! It happens every time there's a live performance of some well-known band, a soccer match, and so on.

sold said:

If supplies were limited, I would agree. Standing in line to buy the last Wii for the sole purpose of selling it on E-bay, for example. Doing so actually reduces the volume, making it less likely for someone who actually wants one to get one. Douche bag.
In this case, however, everyone had the opportunity to order a Pandora during the several day window that pre-orders were taken. If someone didn't get one, it's due to their own fault or circumstances, and someone buying a few extra had no impact on that. No douche bag. If that person then turns around and manages to sell the extra on E-bay for a larger sum, that's just capitalism at work: the people buying are not worse off because they already had equal opportunity to buy at the regular rate, and it isn't the seller's fault that opportunity was missed.

Scalping is fucking low. Its the lowest form of enterprise imho. Especially when it applies to a project such as this. Leeching off the devs is detrimental to the reputation of the community and a low blow to everyone who has worked so hard for such a product to exist.

I am experiencing tough times financially atm. So I gave up my pre-order slot so someone else can buy one of the limited amount being produced in the first batch. I could have still bought a Pandora and tried to sell it to some impatient person who missed out at a ridiculous price. But I didn't. And I wouldn't because it is against my values to do so.

I don't expect everyone to see eye to eye with me, but I don't agree with people making money off the hard work of others, be it an electronics device, concert tickets, passes to sporting events, or anything else. Period.

sold said:
Scalping is fucking low. Its the lowest form of enterprise imho. Especially when it applies to a project such as this. Leeching off the devs is detrimental to the reputation of the community and a low blow to everyone who has worked so hard for such a product to exist.

I am experiencing tough times financially atm. So I gave up my pre-order slot so someone else can buy one of the limited amount being produced in the first batch. I could have still bought a Pandora and tried to sell it to some impatient person who missed out at a ridiculous price. But I didn't. And I wouldn't because it is against my values to do so.

I don't expect everyone to see eye to eye with me, but I don't agree with people making money off the hard work of others, be it an electronics device, concert tickets, passes to sporting events, or anything else. Period.
I'm not sure I follow. Supplies weren't low. Supplies were, in theory, limitless. Someone purchasing a Pandora for later resale has not taken one from someone else who really wanted one. Anyone who wanted one had ample opportunity to buy one, or several. If the person hesitated and are now regretting it, why should they necessarily deserve the same option that those that purchased early have? They had the same chance, and lost it: there will be repercussions, just as there are in every other path of life.
It's not like this person is taking money from OP either by selling at an inflated price. OP gets the same money either way. In the case of truly limited supplies (ie, once the Pandora hits mainstream and can be purchased off the web) I agree with you 100%, but I don't think your explaining yourself well enough as it pertains to this specific situation.

If supplies weren't low, there would be no opportunity for people to cash in on a Pandora. Pre-orders were limited. Are you sure you know what has been happening in the last few months? BTW if you purchased one early, its BECAUSE there was only a limited amount available in the first batch. No offense, but maybe you should re-think your point dude. Also, in theory (or in fact come to think of it), there is no actual supply yet. So how can there be a limitless supply of something that doesn't technically exist yet?

sold said:
If supplies weren't low, there would be no opportunity for people to cash in on a Pandora. Pre-orders were limited. Are you sure you know what has been happening in the last few months? BTW if you purchased one early, its BECAUSE there was only a limited amount available in the first batch. No offense, but maybe you should re-think your point dude. Also, in theory (or in fact come to think of it), there is no actual supply yet. So how can there be a limitless supply of something that doesn't technically exist yet?
Supplies weren't low at the time. There was no limit except a time limit.

kattle87 said:
It isn't scumbag, it's just plain profiteering. And is a common practice too! It happens every time there's a live performance of some well-known band, a soccer match, and so on.
I can't see your problem: check the italian text: kattle87 wants to sell pandora + video cable for this price.

As far as I recall, there were initially a limited amount of orders. And I have a feeling that funds from pre-oders are contributing to the start up capital required to mass produce at least the first batch and possibly even part of the second. That is why pre-orders were extended imo.

And as of now, there is still no supply.

BTW I am only speculating. I want to see this project succeed and I am not trying to create controversy.

sold said:
As far as I recall, there were initially a limited amount of orders.

Then you recall wrong. They initially were going with a 3000 order cap, but when they hit 2000 within the first few hours, they changed the strategy. Anyone who ordered within the given time frame (I think it was by the following Sunday, several days later) was in the order list. They ended up with about 3800 orders total. They rounded it up to a nice, even 4000 to account for non functional units and press. That's what I meant by limitless: anyone who wanted to be in on the pre-order at the time was guaranteed a spot in the first batch. Anyone who missed out has to wait for the second batch. If, suddenly, they find they cannot wait for the second batch, are regretting not getting in on the first batch, I personally see no reason these people shouldn't pay some kind of premium for their folly*.

*folly, in this case, also includes not knowing about it until too late. Seriously, if you were really hardcore enough to want one from the first batch, you would have found some way of sending a message back in time to yourself :p

kukacster said:
kattle87 said:
I can't see your problem: check the italian text: kattle87 wants to sell pandora + video cable for this price.

ehm... I hope everyone knows I'm selling it at the same price I'm re-ordering :p since I wrote it both in english and in italian. We were just discussing about a common practice and I hope this had nothing to do with the OP

initially = at the beginning

So no, I didn't think wrong. BTW I ordered in the first 20 or 30 minutes, and I'm still missing out because of the CC bollocks and now I have chosen to wait because of tougher than usual times.

I see what you mean by limitless, but I stand by my earlier point that pre-order funds were being used as start up capital. And if so, supply is definitely based on demand in this case. So therefore supply is definitely not limitless.

personaly i dont have a problem with folks profiting on resale by a few bucks .. hell they were the ones to wait in line risk whatever ect ect for whatever item it may be . its the scalpers who charge 300% markup and use hysteria or misrepresentation to make their sale that burn my ass those folks should realy be taken out back behind the shed and shot..

I bought 3 OLPCs and sold 2 on eBay (for whatever the market would bear). I ended up selling them to a guy in Europe who hadn't been able to order when the G1G1 program was on and the markup offset some of the price on the OLPC that I kept.

2 kids in the third world got OLPCs that wouldn't, because the guy wouldn't have been able to get them. He paid slightly more, I paid slightly less. He was happy to pay more because there was no other way for him to get them. I can't see that it's unethical, even.

In the case of the Pandora, I'm sure there are lots of preorder people planning to sell on eBay. They've bought more than they need, which is:
  • good for OpenPandora, because they've sold more in the all important first batch
  • good for all of us, because selling more adds to the viability of the Pandora
  • good for whoever buys them on eBay, allowing them to get a Pandora before the second batch
  • good for whoever sells them on eBay - for the obvious reasons.
It's kind of win:win:win:win, no?

As for people dropping out vs. still buying and reselling (although I doubt that is a real choice in anyone's mind) It is surely better for the devs if they have a confirmed sale from someone staying in, even if they plan to resell.

Did you need 3 OLPCs? I bet the dude that bought them off you and the children in the third world countries that needed them would have had an easier time getting them if it wasn't for all the people who tried to capitalize on the situation, which in turn defeats the purpose of the OLPC program in the first place.

What you and many others were doing makes sense monetarily, but I don't think that kind of behavior is ethical.

Bottom line, IMO people should only buy what they need, not scalp and extort people in the so called "market" that they help create by being unscrupulous in the name of profit off the backs of other peoples hard work just because they can.

Back